Winchester vs. Everything else

tradbowhunter

I own several win. classic,s. I also own 6-8 rems, sakos, mausers etc... Why is it that nobody seems to build or shoot the wins.crf,s. Every one i own will out shoot most rems, with factory barrels. Also the actions are like glass on the wins, compared to the remmys.
Please help me understand why this is, and am i off base, or have i just been lucky....Thanks in advance....Pat

I own several win. classic,s. I also own 6-8 rems, sakos, mausers etc... Why is it that nobody seems to build or shoot the wins.crf,s. Every one i own will out shoot most rems, with factory barrels. Also the actions are like glass on the wins, compared to the remmys.
Please help me understand why this is, and am i off base, or have i just been lucky....Thanks in advance....Pat

I think the main reason is lack of available after market parts and availability of used rifles
for don er actions.

Also some rifle actions lend themselves to accurizing better than others.

Some receiver designs are hard to accurize and people tend to avoid them.

The rugers have all ways been diffacult for me But I saw a poster that stated that he had it
figured out and could make them shoot better that normal.

I am glad because they are good rifles and the fact that someone has figured how gives me
some hope that I can do it also.

There are tricks that will help all types but some are trial and error.

In answer to your question ; There is nothing wrong with the winchester action if it is installed
correctly and has a good barrel and stock.

Quality control is always an issue with most factories so occasionally you get a shooter but
more often you get a lemon and that is what keeps the custom builders in business.

J E CUSTOM

I own several remingtons that are great. I also had a winchester model 70 wsm action that I decided to do something with. It was one of those things that were at the point where you dump some money into it to get it where you want or just sell it and part ways with it. I chose to go ahead and give it a try. After a new barrel, new rail and rings, blueprinting the action, new stock, I am about where I want it. It has turned out great! I am very happy with the results but it was hard getting there. There arent that many people that will work on a winchester action because they dont have the tooling or the experience with them. Getting the action squeared up and the bolt face trued was an experience in its self. I think that this is the main reason that people steer clear of them for custom jobs. Every gun smith out there has the know how and the tooling to work with a remington 700 action.

I have a Win 670 in a .308. Thing shoots lights out. Matter of fact this last Wed. I was pinging steel at 700yrds with a 10mph cross wind. Once I figured my dope, it stayed in the orange spot. Hit a small helium tank with it too. The only thing done to it is an aftermarket stock, trigger work, and a custom barrel. Good Stuff!!!:D

Tank

here are some pics of the project. There are also pics in the gun photo section.

stockpics005.jpg

stockpics001-1.jpg

stockpics003.jpg

Got to Love them Winchesters!! Not sure what aftermarket parts you would need other than a stock or a barrel. What you really need is a Guy that specializes in Winchesters not just a Remington barrel fitter.

I used to be a "Remington Only" kinda' guy but that has changed. J E was right, sometimes you get a shooter. I've owned several Remington's through the years and they have all shot well, with minor adjustments. One or two, extremely well.
Then I got my first taste of those Savages, Wow! what fine shooting, accurate rifles. Some say they aren't much to look at, I say who cares, look at what they'll do! They are kicking butt with the innovations they are putting out for the shooting industry. The other mfg's are trying to keep up.
I had, for the most part, steered clear of Winchester rifles for a long time. I know, I know they are the Rifleman's rifle. Earlier on in life I believed the gun writers who said CRF didn't lend itself to accuracy. I owned two, neither was impressive. One was a .30-06 (plastic stock) that wouldn't shoot under 1". The other was a Coyote in .270WSM (laminated stock) that hoovered around a 1/2". I let both go.
Then I found a Winchester 70 SA HVB in .243, lightly used in Washington state. This rifle shoots! I have put a range of bullets, from the 65gn V-Max to the 95gn Ballistic Tip, through it and it has proven to be as accurate as any rifle I have ever owned. It's definately a keeper.
Sometimes you get a shooter. :) JohnnyK.

Nice looking WSM!

Myself I am a Winchester Mod 70 classic(crf) hound. I own 3 of them with my eye on a forth. I have pre-64 .30-06 sporter my grandpa gave me, pretty much my most precious item on this earth. A New Haven 300 WSM sporter and a new 325 WSM super grade, one of the South Carolina guns. I am going to buy one of the Extreme Weather 70s in 300wsm when I find one in the right price.
I have a couple Remmy 700s and they are good guns but I alwasy go back to the Winchester. Honestly I cant say one(rem vs win) shoots better than the other but the action and bolt of the winchester is second to none, it fits me better and I feel like I shoot it better. Not to mention its just a dang nice piece of metal and wood to look at!

I have 2 winchesters. one is an 80's era featherweight push feed 30-06 that shoots great. it has killed quite a few pigs and a few coyotes for me. I knew the previous few owners and they all sold it to the next guy because it just seemed too fancy to hunt with. When I got it, the guy told me, "it had some work done to it". Not sure what that entailed, but it shoots.

the other has been totally transformed from its original ultimate shadow to a new semi custom rig. more on that later....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.