Older Sendero 300 Ultra Mag...accurate?

WEATHERBY460

Is a Remington Sendero 300 Ultra Mag an accurate gun? I am looking for a 800 yard hunting rifle and want a gun that's not going to be fussy to reload for.

I plan to bed it, and install a good trigger and a muzzle break if I purchase it.

Thanks

In general, any new sendero is a great gun. However, things change if your buying used. Expecially a RUM. Your going to want a detailed history if possible from the previous owner. Round count being top of the list. If you can't get it, you can always rebarrel with the same contour and rest assured you have a great gun. I have a sendero and it was my best shooting gun everyday of the week and twice on Sunday, until I built a custom. Now she's number two...

If it is an older Sendero SF or original Sendero (blued/non-fluted), you shouldn't have to replace the trigger...Just have it worked by a competent smith...And as long as the barrel isn't shot-out or the throat cracked, it should definity be a shooter.

I've reloaded for 2 of them (friend's rifles) and IMO they are very finicky and need a lot of work, i.e. bedding, trigger etc. I'm not sure if it is the caliber or the rifle. I also reload for a Bansner 300RUM Sheep rifle and it was much easier to find a load for

Personally I have a 338RUM and the bore size to powder capacity is less drastic and less overbore (more forgiving)

Now that is not to say that some if not many have found a Sendero 300RUM to be a real shooter and easy to load for, just not my experience and you asked for opinions

How much performance loss will I loose going to a 300 winmag?
You might lose 100 fps with handloads... Which is negligable considering the gains that come along with the .300 WinMag, like better barrel life, cheaper and easier to find brass and ammo, less powder consumption, less muzzle blast, won't need a muzzle brake (unless you just want one).

Here's a comparison of velocities... The .300 RUM ammo is only 24 fps faster than the .300 WM.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/84...oint-boat-tail-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...oint-boat-tail-box-of-20?cm_vc=ProductFinding

I'd personally go for an older Sendero in .300 WM over a new Sendero in .300 RUM. But that's just me. Mainly because I don't care for the RUM calibers, the newer rifles have the X-Crap triggers, and the Sendero SFII rifles have an uncomfortable stock that has dual palmswells, whereas the older Senderos have NO palmswells, and are much more comfortable to me.

You might lose 100 fps with handloads... Which is negligable considering the gains that come along with the .300 WinMag, like better barrel life, cheaper and easier to find brass and ammo, less powder consumption, less muzzle blast, won't need a muzzle brake (unless you just want one).

Here's a comparison of velocities... The .300 RUM ammo is only 24 fps faster than the .300 WM.

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 300 Winchester Mag 185 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 300 Remington Ultra Mag 185 Grain Berger Hunting

I'd personally go for an older Sendero in .300 WM over a new Sendero in .300 RUM. But that's just me. Mainly because I don't care for the RUM calibers, the newer rifles have the X-Crap triggers, and the Sendero SFII rifles have an uncomfortable stock that has dual palmswells, whereas the older Senderos have NO palmswells, and are much more comfortable to me.
Owning and shooting both the 300win and rum I'd say to go with the rum and back it off a bit if you don't need the extra speed; you may want that extra speed later. I like my 300win a lot, but my rum will throw 10% more bullet to the same speed at the very least. When you get to really heavy pills it'll do even more because it'll digest the 50bmg class powders (and rl33/retumbo) that the 300win can't do well with because of case capacity. The rum is a bit more finicky, but any high performance round will be harder to find perfection with than the slower rounds in a caliber.
I've gotten 3300 fps with 180's in the rum no sweat, and 3150 fps is a tough sell for most 300wins. The heaviest bullet I can break 3000 fps with in my 300win is a 190, but I can hit 3000 fps with a 225 using rl33 in my rum no sweat.

The comments about the .300 RUM being finicky are interesting. In 14 years of loading them I haven't found that to be the case. As far as velocity, don't look at factory offerings to compare. I've found that the RUm will achieve 200 fps plus over the Winchester using the same style and weight bullet. mtmuley

I have owned 4 of the .300 RUM Senderos. All would shoot well. The biggest area for improvement was to load cartridges with bullets touching the lands and work back from there until greatest accuracy was found. If the resulting cartridge is too long for the magazine box, then have an extended length box such as the Wyatt's installed. The Sendero 1 is an excellent base to build a custom. I rebarreled mine with 30" barrels because of the speed and accuracy improvements. You can also rebarrel to an EDGE for about the same cost. I don't use a brake on the .300RUM's but the EDGE rifles need one. The customized Senderos are capable of.25 moa when I am and are not too finicky to load for. Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.