Sendero Newer vs Older

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Broz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I purchased ( for a friend) an older 300 win sendero ( non-fluted black barrel) and it shoots very well at distance. Now he has a friend that wants me to set one up for him. I will most likely do another 300 win and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the newer SS fluted versions?

Are they less accurate? the same? less accurate? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

2. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

I have one of the new ones 300 win mag. I did not shoot the gun before having work done on it. Jim at center shot rifles did the work. The chamber is concentric - it is long so he installed a wyatts box, recut the crown, installed his 3 port brake, bedded it, lapped the lugs, adjustable cheek piece and did a trigger job. The gun shoots extremely well with H-1000, 185 gr berger vld hunting bullets seated .03 off the lands and CCI 250 mag primers. Best group at 100yds was .27 - ( i havent figured out how to post pics yet - if you go to his web site - look in the gallery under testimonials you will see a picture of the target).

The only complaint I have is the palm swell on the stock - just dont really care for it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

MN Hunter, thanks for the response. Have you shot it out past 300 yet?

Jeff

4. MN Hunter

MN Hunter Well-Known Member

Havent gone past 100 yet. The range by my house only goes out to 100yds. I do belong to a club about an hour away. I hope to get there soon - hopefully this coming weekend. They have a 100, 200, 300, 400, 600 and 1000yd range.

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

MN, good luck, and let us know how it shoots.

Anyone else hae either of these?

Thanks!

Jeff

6. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

BROZ- my friend and i have several 300 wm senderos of the various vintages. they all shoot good. 72 to 72.5 of re-22 and a berger 210 . wlrm primers. lapua brass. roninflag

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Roy, so you don't see much difference in the SS fluted barrels? I need it to hold 1 moa out to 800 or 1000.

Thanks for your reply.

Jeff

8. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

my son in law shot a 15 shot group you could cover with a sheet of note book paper with his cuurent vintage ssf at 1000 yards. , my son shot a similar size group with mine . my sendero is stainless but does not have the palm swell or the black flutes, earlier vintage. both have a vais brake.

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Thank you, I appreciate the info. It is what I needed to know.

Jeff