Old School Weaver scope and rings that I've never seen before...

engineer40

I recently inherited a 30-06 from the 50's. It has the original scope on it. First thing I noticed, this scope was long! A couple inches longer than I'm used to for the size of the objective lens.

Then I noticed it didn't have any elevation or windage adjustments! Oh wait, what's this?.... You adjust the elevation and windage with the rings! Thinking to myself, that's crazy. I've never seen anything like that.

I pick the rifle up and look through the scope. I've never seen a reticle like this before! It's not a ranging reticle. Think of a traditional hunting reticle. But instead of 1 vertical and 1 horizontal line; it has 3 vertical lines and 3 horizontal lines. The lines are close together but you can still see between them some.

I try to adjust the scope power and another surprise! It's a first focal plane scope! What the heck? I'm not sure why you would need a FFP scope without a ranging reticle but...

And the last thing I noticed; I'm not sure how this scope is internally architected but it seems to have eye relief range in a magnitude that I've never witnessed before. As far back or as far forward as I can physically put my eye while holding the rifle to my shoulder, perfect eye relief. Hmmm, is this witchcraft?

Anyways, thought I'd share this interesting setup. It had me pondering for a few minutes when I saw it for the first time a few days ago! It seems like every feature about this scope is different than anything you would buy today. I hope it maintains a good zero! I'd love to keep the entire setup exactly as is.

Horrible picture quality, but you can see the 3 lines each direction instead of 1.

weaver_scope_1.jpg

Check it out. The elevation and windage are on the rings instead of the scope!

weaver_scope_2.jpg

Poor grammar, but cool.

While I know I typed this post quickly and gave no forethought to paragraph structure or even punctuation, if I committed an error that made the post difficult to understand, please feel free to edify me via a private message. I have a penchant towards candor as long as it's not done in a bombastic way.

Interesting. I've never seen a Weaver like that. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely!

While I know I typed this post quickly and gave no forethought to paragraph structure or even punctuation, if I committed an error that made the post difficult to understand, please feel free to edify me via a private message. I have a penchant towards candor as long as it's not done in a bombastic way.

Absolutely!

My poor grammar not you. I think "cool" is poor grammar.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.