Old bugger starting over after 45 years

johngibbs222

Hi all, I quit cf rifle shooting back in the 60s when I left Australia. My experience was limited to some 22 cf (the best of which(for me) was the rem 222), 303/25, 6mm rem and my favourite, 264 winchester in a Mannlicher-Schoener short fore-end with a 26" barrel as I recall. Bought it from a gunshop in newcastle nsw together with some reloading gear in 1965 iirc ( he had a WW1 Mauser antitank rifle there- 12.7mm iirc- that was probably of the same ballistics as the 50 bmg). Used the 264 all over Oz and my favourite was plinking at sharks from the cliffs at WA they were about 6 - 700 yards offshore.
I was really seduced by hi velocity and used to wind it up, barrel gave out and a guy in geraldton WA made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
About this time I split up with my wife and legged it back to Europe - the business I was in at that time was growing faster there and my american partners needed a native european. I tried ice bears on Spitzbergen for one hunt - soppy sod I couldn't bring myself to shoot at one as it was so beautiful and my prospective new father in law got quite uptight about it.
I moved on and became a died in the wool waterfowl hunter. I quit this in the late 80s until my youngest boy, just 17, asked me to take him out shooting this year.
I don't have big ambitions I will buy a 22 lr, a 22 hornet (I just LOVE that caliber) and a 30-06 as I have some friends who hunt wild boar. Don't fancy a magnum, I feel I should get up close and personal.
So I now live in Kent, SE england, in my late 60s and am offered probationary membership of clubs! I've now been married for 19 years to the same woman and feel some change coming on again which will probably bankrupt me this time, but hey, you only pass this way once. Best get the guns in before the split!
I'll probably bore everyone to tears with my "in the sixties men were men and used huge magnums" on the other hand perhaps not as I've discovered how toxic such an attitude can be.
So a big HI to everyone on the forum!

Last edited:
Welcome to LRH! Enjoy your time shooting with your son. I shoot with my niece and nephew fairly regularly and that time is priceless.

Sorry about your impending split. Hopefully it won't be that bad, but it probably will.

welcome to the site. like you i don't care much for the magnums, had them when i was younger and thought i was macho man. now i shoot what i can handle comfortably, 22-250,223 and 308.
wish you the best of luck with your misfortune. been there and done that.

Thanks guys, not sure if I'll fit in here, right now long range for me is 55 yards overhead with my W&C Scott double 10.....:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.