new old guy with a 45-110

cregan

well this is my introduction,new here,new to my 45-110 pedersoli quigley as well.will be shooting 600 yards with it and making my own rounds,reading alot,and thinking to go paper patch for the novilty of it.any suggestions from an experienced shooter would be welcomed.... cregan

well this is my introduction,new here,new to my 45-110 pedersoli quigley as well.will be shooting 600 yards with it and making my own rounds,reading alot,and thinking to go paper patch for the novilty of it.any suggestions from an experienced shooter would be welcomed.... cregan

You need to send Sharpsman a P.M. He's.pretty into the ol school roll your own stuff. Nice to see another black powder LR guy on here. Those are some neat ol cartriges, with a rich history. I like to read about em.

thanks winmag,i'll do that,right now i'm gathering the stuff i need for reloading paper patch and when i get the bench together ready to go i'll reach out for more info. good hunting!

I use the 525 postel style bullet in 45-70 thru 45-110. never went the paper patch route. Cast with 20/1 alloy, they shoot extremely well to 1100 yds (farthest range i have access to) using 5744, or elephant black powder.

mtbullet,would you think that a paper patch is more accurate,and less fouling ?i,m eager to build bullets and am concerned about fouling too,the gun will be used for target primarily and will see a lot of use,so with the claims of paper patch i'minclined to try,although i've read about duplex loads with 7 or 10 grains of smokeless pistol powder under the black being a cleaner burn.. what say you?

Before I did anything, I would make sure your rifle has a "paper patch" chamber, some will shoot ok, some wont without it.
Then, i would try a good quality, lubed bullet over a fiber wad, available in .30 or .60 thou. thick. I had great luck using these, then switched to "puff lon" filler as a "lube wad" after seeing it used at the Quigley shoot years ago, still use it now.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.