After 50 Years I'm Back

Unless you have loaded ammo stored over a long period of time, empty brass should never go bad.

Stress is what makes brass work harden. The bullet is mostly lead with a thin copper jacket & has a different heat expansion ratio than brass does. Temperature changes will over time cause more stress around the neck, because brass will expand & contract at a different rate than the bullet, it will be cold worked every time there is a temperature change. This will cause the brass to slowly become harder. Sometimes enough to split a case neck. Working 46 years in the machine tool trade as a machinist & toolmaker, I have never seen brass become brittle just because of age age.
However I would be concerned about loaded ammo having the potential to split case necks when fired if they aren't already split.
I have at least 20 boxes of Herter's 22-250 brass left over from the mid 1970's. I plan to begin shooting loaded cartridges using this brass within the next few weeks.

If I discover I'm wrong, I will eat crow & fess up.

It's been a little shy of 2 years since my last post & still haven't had anything significant happen that indicates brittle brass from my Herter's brass from the early 70's. Even when I had 4 grains overload on one box after the 7th reload, I only had 2 cases with split necks. This came about because I loaded a 60 grain bullets over what was intended for 53 grain bullets. However I did have 4 loose primer pockets. One of them was so loose it fell out. I still do dumb things from time to time.
I need to keep the door locked when I'm loading ammo to keep my wife from interrupting me.

Spencer

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.