ok, what do I need for a decent priced long range elk gun?

ya, I like quick bullets as much as the next guy, but I am leaning toward the 180gr min, thinking between 180-220gr, really like the looks of the 200gr pills, so now I just need to get the dang gun and see what it likes....

I think I'm going to go pick up a remington 700, and hope i can get a factory shooter like 25-06's LSS, so it can keep me going till i get it set up the way i want...are there any remingtons that supposidly shoot better than others? I like the plain old BDL. also, if I bought a stainless now, could I refinish it matte in the future?

I think all I'll do now is get a new trigger, and some good optics, and start shooting.

thanks..

Keep us posted on how you do. What bullets you use and such. I hope you get a shooter like mine to. It makes a factory rifle not all that bad when you can get them to group as well as the customs. I just hope you dont get a bad one, I can hear it now. Its all your fault remman. What kinda scope you plan to put on it?? Like I said, all I did to mine was work the trigger down to 2.5#, then glass bedded it, and worked up some handloads. Lots of trigger time behind it as well.

I'm sold on leupolds, but been looking at some nightforces, but they are a little on the heavy side. I've got a mk4 4.5-15x50LR on my custom built AR, and a another 4.5-14x40 VX-III on my volquartsen .17hmr and love those scopes. I'm thinking another 4.5-14, but I kind of want to switch things up a little, so not sure. Was thinking about 6.5-20x50, but would like something a little lower on the 6.5 end....still deciding.

YES!!! I really hope a get a decent shooter like yours also, what loads are you shooting through yours, maybe I could work a couple of those up, and see how they do in mine when I get it...

did you get a new trigger(jewell, rifle basix) or did you work the factory trigger down?

thanks.....oh, 25-06 I live in oregon also....

I am sold on leupolds as well. My rifle wore the 6-18 vx2 target at first, but I upgraded to the mk4, 4.5-14. I like the scope, but I am shooting longer distances now, and wished I woulda got the 6.5-20, oh well. The nightforces sure do seem a lot bulkier and heavier dont they? Well my most accurate loads are with the 150g ctbtips, 200g ab, and 210g vld. For the 150g, I was using 105g H-1000. Gave me .3" at 100 yards, and 3.5"-4" at 800 yards. Did not shoot them very long, only 50 bullets, as they were leaving the muzzle at 3650fps. To fast for my liking. The 200g AB I was using 92g H-1000, and got .5" at 100, then I shot a 3 shot group the day before I left for elk season at 525 yards that measured 1.5" They are going 3100fps. The latest bullet giving me good accuracy at 1150 yards is the 210g VLD. I am using 89g Retumbo, at 3000fps. I was using all Fed 215 primers, and R-p cases. OAL for the 150g and 200g was set at 3.660" to feed through the magazine. The 210g VLD's are set up for single shot use only at 3.8" I did not buy a trigger, I just worked on it myself down to 2.5#. Where you from in Oregon, maybe we can get together and shoot sometime, or go yote hunting.

good info, i'll save that load info for when I get my gun. now i'm just trying to figure out where to get one for a decent price. by any chance would the Rem LSS be more accurate than the BDL? I would think that they are just the same, but I thought I heard differant...?

ya I think i'm leaning toward the 6.5-20 glass also.

I live east of Salem in small town called stayton. I would love to shoot some yotes, we call quite a bit around here and down by lakeview and anywhere else I end up. Hunting coyotes is one of my favorite things to hunt. I'm heading over east of Bend on thurs to try my luck with those dogs.

thanks...jon

I have a Harrington and Richardson 7mm Rem. Mag with a Leupold 3-9X40 for sale. Since I do not hunt big stuff anymore I am willing to part with it. The gun is about 35 years old and has had less that 200 rounds put through it. It has a Belgium made mouser action and is a great shooting and looking weapon. $650 & you pay the shipping.

Remington sendero 900-1000. you pick the caliber. if you can't get a leupold . get a bushnell elite 6-24. 400 to 450 $

Ditto what most everyone else is telling you regarding a Rem M700 in a RUM. One friend is shooting FED 215M w/ 104g of US869 behind the 240SMK. 2993 ave. MV out of his factory M700LSS in 300RUM. That makes a rather serious statement for LR Elk hunting.
My brother has the same rifle, he settled on 96g of RL-25 with a Nosler 180g AB at 3300fps. He was able to push to 3450, but the recoil was brutle.:D
Basically what I am hearing, is that a muzzle brake would be just as important as having the rifle piller bedded and having a trigger job done.
I myself have just began a build with Benchmark, they are going to put a 30" fluted 30 cal tube on it chambered in 300RUM. The action will be blue printed and they are going to put a pinned percision ground 1/4 lug on it. I ordered a directional (sideways venting) muzzle brake too.
I'm dreaming of duplicating that 240gr Sierra Matchking load. gun)

Last edited:
i would get a 300 win mag because is is so easy to load for and lapua brass is available. in a remington sendero. look at the bushnell 4200 or 6500 if you can't get something more. adjust the trigger. and if at all possible get a brake.

One thing that hasn't been determined is how far is Long range? big difference between 500yds and 1500yds.

In my case, I have a personal limit of my Leica 800 which will read to around 950yds. Most of my LR hunting is going to be inside 800yds.

My choice is a Savage 110 in 7RM. Even with a 24" barrel, this barrel spits them out at near STW velocities. I shoot the 162gr SST and Amax. SST for close range, Amax for far.

With the ballistics these bullets give, there is little issue with boiler room shots are far as I can range. Ballistics that I feel are superior to a similar model in 300WM.

I have owned a few Savage rifles and these things shoot extremely well. As well as many custom rifles and certainly better then most factory.

I and many others up here have really enjoyed these value rifles. There is little reason with your budget you can't get a complete rig with money to spare.

Have a good look at the Elite 4200 line of scopes. I think you will be impressed and they are most certainly affordable. The new gen Nikon Buckmaster SF are also very nice value.

Make sure you bed those Savages and tune or replace that trigger (unless accutrigger). Set up with weaver bases and Burris sig rings w/inserts, you have the makings of a great rifle.

Jerry

Well, despite not reading this particular thread until now, I have just about completed the track several have suggested here. I guess the themes keep repeating in pieces here and there...A Savage w/ accutriger in 7mmRM, Burris Sig rings w/inserts, etc. Will post how she shoots. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.