OK, so how do I do this?....

YZ-80

.....A guided hunt with my son? I'm looking to do it in the next 2 years. My son is 13 and has his hunters safety. He's killed whitetail out to 225 yards on our own property (.243 & 6.5 CrDM & .25-06). He's a good kid, mature for his age.

So, I'd like to do some kind of combined hunt with him in the next 2 years. I'm thinking Mule deer (trophy) and Cow Elk (meat) or maybe a predator in the mix. We are both in decent shape but wouldn't be looking to go packing in on horses or anything like that. I'm thinking of more like a hunting lodge type situation, but don't want a "canned hunt". I'm a hand loader and have a number of firearms available to me. Realistically, I can get us both proficient out to 300 (perhaps 400) with a 25-06, 308, or 6.5-284 but also like the idea of a short range encounter (80 to 200 yards) with a light 6.5 CRDM or 7mm-08. Both scenarios would be really cool. So, glassing and/or in the trees or preferably a combination of both would be great. I can bring a tool for each. We can both shoot prone and in elevated blind situations but neither of us are McGuiver. A back pack on a rock outcropping is OK too.

I got some time but I want to get started on this. I'm thinking OTC licenses and tags are the way to go but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Price range? Well, I don't wanna go crazy. I'd like to keep it Reasonable but like everything else, I'm realistic about that too.

Any suggestions on where to
Start, guides, etc., are welcome. Geographically, I am Open to suggestions but continental US seems like what I would want.

Thanks!

I'd start by figuring out what state first. Colorado for example requires applying for all deer and cow licenses by game management unit (gmu). The chances of both of you drawing both tags in the same year may be slim. Over the counter bull tags are available but not in all gmus. Second, I'd start trying to find outfitters or ranches that offer lodge ltype hunting. I've done 1 cow hunt, late season in New Mexico and 1 bull hunt in Colorado, both were lodge hunts (hot showers, a bed, and meals included) nothing fancy. Once you find the outfitter, you can correspond with them about the details on best chances to get licences. Some may have landowner tags you can apply for and have better chances at getting. Many will do 1 guide per 2 hunters.
Hope that helps get you started.

Look into south west Texas. You can get good mule deer hunts for reasonable prices, plus possibilities of Barbary sheep, javelina and feral pigs. Make a good father son hunt where you will get some action and not wear your son out.

Elk and Mule deer on public land that don't take a ton of points to draw are general tuff hunts and you got to work hard to successful for trophies and sometimes just to harvest.

Pronghorn are an excellent fun, youth type hunt

In Idaho you can get OTC non-resident Deer and Elk tags however not sure if you could time one that covers both but a good place to look.

Wbat about a Sitka blacktail and black bear hunt...
Off a boat....while guiding steelhead in Oregon one of my clients did it with a couple buddies and had an awesome time....i believe i remember him saying he ate too much crab......
Be a trip of a lifetime...and then start working for the bug Muley....afterall...you will need him to help pack the big bruiser out....put him on steroids..let him pack you out too....:D

Thank you guys very much for your responses! I do like the lodge hunting idea. Your tips will definitely help get me started. If anyone has any outfitter recommendations that would be great too.

It really all depends on how much money you want to spend to be honest. I have always been a believer in you get what you pay for i have hunted several awesome outfitters all over the USA and I still stay in contact with several of them and I will be happy to help you and your son out if you so desire but I only do pay hunts with nice lodging and excellent guides. The mule deer in my avatar came from Wyoming on exactly one of these hunts so if i can help you further just PM me.

Best of luck,
Danny D

It really all depends on how much money you want to spend to be honest. I have always been a believer in you get what you pay for i have hunted several awesome outfitters all over the USA and I still stay in contact with several of them and I will be happy to help you and your son out if you so desire but I only do pay hunts with nice lodging and excellent guides. The mule deer in my avatar came from Wyoming on exactly one of these hunts so if i can help you further just PM me.

Best of luck,
Danny D
My sentiments exactly. I'll PM you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.