How do I find a good Gunsmith?

7mmaniac

There are listings everywhere you go, how do you know which ones are worth their salt? I'm looking for one that specializes in long range guns. Any suggestions?

Well, we have several right here who post regularly:
Shawn Carlock, Kirby Allen, Dave Viers to list a few.
Greg Tannel is another one, who is not on this site who has done several LR projects for me.
Please note, there are a couple of other guys on the site that do good work, but I just haven't happened to have used them.

Todd Bettin of Bettin Custom Guns in Iwoa is building a 338 Lapua for me right now. He is really easy to work with and a good sence of humor. I have really enjoyed working with him and he has kept me update to his progress the with email and pictures through out the project. I have not gotten the rifle from him yet and I would definately work with him again.

I have done some work with Shawn Carlock but he has not built a rifle for me. Shawn has been very responsive as well and his rates are very reasonable.

SES50

gunsmiths

Nate at straightshotgunsmithing.com has done some work for me recently, and I am quite impressed with both the workmanship, and also dealings with him. I will be sending him more work shortly. He posts here under 308nate.

Chris Matthews @ LongShot Rifles has reworked a few of my rifles and is currently building me a 300 RUM from a Rem 700 LSS and a .308 off of a Lawton 7000 action. Chris can be reached @ 816 773-6500.

Think I'm happy with his work? :>)

I've talked to Chris at Longshot Rifles. I know he has a great reputation. Only problem, he's 6 months behind. I know that's a good sign but it doesn't help my situation.

Many of the smiths mentioned will have somewhere between 3-6 months, sometimes more.
Sometimes just waiting on parts to come in will hold things up combined with being popular since they are turning out a quality product.
Chris does good work. If that is who you want to use be content to wait.

If a gunsmith didn't have any work backed up wouldn't you be concerned as to why?

At one time I used Mike Bryant from Wheeler Texas to build my guns. Mike builds some unbelievably accurate shooters and my last 6.5x284 was one of them. The only problem was that it took him over 1 year to get the rifle done. That's too long for me. Six months for an LSR rifle sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Actually, LSR is shipping my rifles this week. Not sure how long Chris has had them but it was less than 6 months.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.