OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I'm ticked off.

Re: OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I\'m ticked off.

[ QUOTE ]
Fellas,

Now you're talkin. That's what's so great about this forum.

The steadiness issue is a good reason for another of my infamous rube goldberg innovations. The Leica will be tripod mounted in no time. Besides its raining again! It'll keep me occupied.

Thanks for the insight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used the Swarovski and the LRF1200 side by side on the same day and the Swarovski would range targets @1035 yards and the LRF1200 would only range targets @650 yards both were hand held

Roy,

You will find that holding either the Leica or Swaro steady on a tripod or braced against something solid will help significantly. I also just wanted to add my agreement with the others who have compared the Leica and Swaro. I have had both and now only have one.....the Swaro. In side by side comparisons in a variety of conditions I found the Swaro would out range the Leica by 400 to 600 yards. I have no trouble ranging trees to 1800 yards and frequently to 2000 yards.

I don't like the large aiming circle or the button or the carrying contraption, but I sure like knowing how far away stuff that I want to shoot is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

great post...I'm deciding the same thing right now also, looking for a good ragefinder.

Sounds like the Swaro is the winner so far, but I would like the binoc/LRF combo.

as far as rangfinding capabilities would you pick the geovids or the Swaro??

thanks

Shoot the laser as carefully as your bullet.

I have an older Leica (800 or 900? Cannot remember just now...) and I'm not experiencing the range problems you descrine. I regularily get measurements beyond the advertised range.

(And I always laser the range several times to make sure I didn't get a misreading...)

Sierra22,
Funny you should say that, I'm still using the Leica 800 I bought several years ago; ditto your comments!

I´m using a leica 900 with the scan function. the scan thing is pretty handy and makes ranging easier.

However I have never been able to go beyond 900 m. as seems to be your case. The longest range reading is 830 m., and usually does not read further than 750.

the nikon buckmaster 800 I have will read on most days to its advertised 800. I set my gong up at 800 the other day and was getting 808, 806, 808 consistently. I have gotten elk and trees and rocks to 900yards, thats the farthest. On bad days though, it wont go much past 500-550 on coyotes in flat wheat fields when its sunny. I know what you mean about having a gun that can outshoot the rangefinders. Kinda ticks ya off when it comes to that. When you gotta a coyote sittin 500 yards and that rangefinder wont pick it up, that gets to me. But a big deer or elk is 10x worse. My uncle had the older leica 800 and it worked great, out to 800-900 yards, but he dropped it 1 time, and it never read anythign past 200 yards after that. He sent it back and they told him it was non fixable. What a bunch of crap if you ask me. They told him he could keep it, or buy the new 900 for $100 less then what they sold them for, my uncle was not a happy camper. From the sounds of everyone, it seems the swaros are by far the best for the money. Ranging capabilities out to there advertised 1500, and in most, some cases even farther. Seems like the hands down winner if you ask me. That is if you want to spend close to $900 for a rangefinder. I"m interested in how the nikon 1200 would do. I"m totally happy with my nikon 800, was thinking of selling my 800 and getting the 1200.

I am excited to see what the leup will do, i couldnt stand their last model. If the leup will CONSISTANTLY range a coyote sized animal out to 1500yds I would probably take it over the swaro. The main reason being the reticle. It is so frustrating to have problems ranging like i did on deer across a sunny wheatfield.

Of everthing undr $1000.00 on the market right now the swaro is king. I wouldnt mind seeing the new Leup dethrown him because that would mean that swaro would have to fix their problems and come back even better next year

steve

Rigged up the tripod mount last evening during NCIS and UNIT. NCIS was a rerun, but the chick's still cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ranged two sandhill cranes a bit ago at 423 to 427. By my calc the male was making about 1 yd every two strides walking directly away.

I feel better than I did the other day.

We'll see what happens when those horses walk by that area again.

I think I'll do a performance against battery voltage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Roy,

For really long range it will require a breakthrough in either receptor sensors or a increase in the " eye safe " laser power to upgrade what is currently available for shooters this side of "reedickuluss" dollars .

I really dont have a problem with this as I am only looking to be a 1000 yd shooter . I would love to be a contender at longer range but I have to accept the fact that to go further has passed me by , my eyesight is not likely to improve . I really only like to take shots that I am confident / convinced that I will connect on . Even then I miss , sometimes I have to shoot the poor dying thing again just so I don't have to chase it over 4 counties to gut it . The last time I did chase one over 4 counties was a long time ago. I really thought I was cool chasing after that antelope for miles in order to get the killing shot . Wish I could run so far now .

At this point my money is on whoever can produce a binocular range finder that has a lase range finder that will read consistently to 1ooo yds. at dawn or dusk, in sun or cloud , early or late , summer or winter ( angle change of the sunlight )

As I have said before there is a very good reason to be proficient at mil ranging as well as having a LRF. I have the easy one , now I have to try to have the other /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jim B.

I have ranged to 1200 yds on a lone tree on a sunny day with my Opti-Logic range finder. Can't go wrong for $380. Ranged my antelope last fall at 675 yds in the flat prairie and dumped it! It was exactly 675 yds, ranged my truck looking back. Hold it steady and it works.

Hope your not still waiting on them horses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How did things work out for ya?

Jimm, take a look at the Leica bino.-RF.

I tried muy leica 900 today again... in bright sun and shiny target could range up to 650m; darker target, 750; at dusk, no bright sun, 820 m.

Did some more testing this afternoon. Today was the very first nice warm half way sunny day this year.

LRF was on tripod, I held it as steady as I could, which wasn't perfect. Pressing the button causes most of the movement.

I noticed that when I held it almost perfectly still/steady I could range 935 and 977 in rolling sage brush. Darker areas seemed to reflect better.

It seemed to flick up the reading just as I released the button at times

That button is a real bummer. Takes way too much force to activate it, then to hold it to do the scan.

I have my Leica covered with a chap leather cover with an large rifle primer super glued just above the button. I was having trouble when wearing gloves this winter.

I'm going to attempt to rig one of those camera remote release thingers so as to press the button with out moving the unit. I'm thinking it will help a bunch. We'll see.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.