OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I'm ticked off.

royinidaho

OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I\'m ticked off.

I've done the searches, after I learned how, from ss7mm, and studied the search results, but found all comments to be subjective.

This fall I will have the opptunity to make a 1K range shot on deer and elk. I will be ready to make that kind of a shot in all ways except for one thing. The LRF.

I have a Leica 1200 scan model. It will not cut the mustard in desert sage brush or flat open country. Three horses were grazing at between 700 and 730 yards. I know that for certain, as my 1031 yard target was in the background and they were grazing around the spot where I had set my steel coyote at 740 yds.

The Leica would not range them AT ALL! I could range leafless russian olive trees to 750 and just about anything that was under 500 could be ranged.

Is my Leica weak in the poop, or is that typical, even with a new battery?

Its gonna be a very bad deal to have rifles that out range the range finder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What about any of the 1500 models, Burris, Swaro etc.?

Re: OK Guys, its time to draw the line in the sand. - I\'m ticked off.

Well I did the same as you, and passed along most if not all of the info on the searches and post to my huntin pardner. He or I one was going to get something to go with our rigs. So, since I been laid up and not drawing a payday, he made the plunge and picked up one of the Swaro's.

While I was giving the cleaning hooch time to work on the copper this past Sunday I played with it some. He had it set to his eye and I wear glasses, so things were a little awkward for me on a few things I shot. However it ranged a white 55 gal barrel at 1838 yds consistantly in bright sunlight. I walked closer and further and it was right on.

Take it for what is worth, you read the comments on them, as well as the others, they have some drawbacks but I found it pretty awesome. I will tell you this, if you get one you will need some sort of pole rest or tripod to hold it steady enough for this sort of range. However once you got it there , it reads out great. I am sure we will be doing more testing of it and other things this coming weekend. I will holler back as time allows.

Roy:

Up to 2000 yards and priced under $1000.00 it's Swaro hands down. If money is no object then look at the Geovids.

Don't take that new AM out shooting and not be able to range to the guns capabilities. You won't be a happy camper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I owned both and the Swarovski will out range the Leica hands down no contest

Roy in Idaho,
This was my experience:
I bought a bushnell Elite 1500. After testing it did not compare with the reports I had read in this site, I returned it. They had a sale goin on that very day so I got me the Leica 1200. After some testing i found out it was just bearly better than the former 1500, but not enough to pay that much more; kind of dissapointed I figured that I would just go back to the Elite 1500, and just maybe I would be able to get one that would compare the former testings that had been reported here. So... I did, I went back and got me the Bushnell 1500 Elite, I made sure the box I was getting hadn't been opened and... Both of us, my 14 year old son, William and my self are very happy with our decision. When sunny and some snow in the ground I'm being able to range things like small rocks, bushes, small trees out to 960-1000 yards, and early in the morning or later in the day, even when the sun is still out I'm easily ranging things out to 1200-1300 yards. When the suns sets it'll go 1400 yards or so on rocks, trees boulders, bushes. etc. Not having the money for a Swaro we are much happy for now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And for the father targets you can add the 2x doubler to the swaro for a 16x rangefinder. It also has the tripod mount on it.

d-a

Since you already have a Leica, the only upgrade would be a Swaro. Seems pretty black and white to me!!! Unless of course you were willing to spring for the Geovids.

PS- If you do decide on the Swaro, give me a shout. Outta be able to give you a good price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Roy, this is coming from a guy who has used both the swaro and the leica and has been using them with the 270AM

The swaro is definantly the king as far as out to 1k or more goes for under $1000.00. The only problem is the **** reticle in that thing. I have had fits with the thing twice now on game, once on whitetail in a wheatfield where I would range the terrace in front of him, him, and then the fence 150yds behind him. The second time was with a hog in heavy rain so this time was not as significant.

The time with the deer hand me cussing and kicking dirt so be warned. I am curious as to what the new leup will do because of its different reticle usage, but it is up to some stiff competition.

I think the swaro is your best bet but it may **** you off once and a while

good luck
steve

Reading between the lines does this mean you have a 400 yard error?

Roy,

One thing that I have noticed on my Leica is that you have to be VERY steady to get a range on long targets. The darn button is a little too stiff and this only seems to amplify the situation, but it does get the job done. I have ranged elk at 1000 yards, but this only happened after placing the rangefinder on something solid enough to take me out of the equation.

The Geovids I have will do ok for what you need, but it all depends on the stability of the rangefinder while you are ranging. The laser must hit near the same spot for the reading to come up. if there is a large disparity in the laser readings recieved back, the error will not display. Mine will range non-reflective targets out to 1150 in bright sun if I steady it on a fence or table. off hand I'm lucky to get 1k. I've heard several stories of good and bad 1500 elites, luck of the draw. The swaros seem real nice but I've never field tested them.

Fellas,

Now you're talkin. That's what's so great about this forum.

The steadiness issue is a good reason for another of my infamous rube goldberg innovations. The Leica will be tripod mounted in no time. Besides its raining again! It'll keep me occupied.

Thanks for the insight.

[ QUOTE ]
Reading between the lines does this mean you have a 400 yard error?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jonny,
Please explain how you have been reading between the lines.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts