Odd Scope Issue

nelson

I was out shooting my 22 hornet at the range today, the scope I have mounted on it is a 6-24x44 model made by a manufacturer named hawke optics. The problem I have noticed is that it seems the point of impact changes when the scope manification is increased past 16x I have checked for obvious signs of paralax the reticule does not appear to move if I shift my view in the scope. also the group size stays constant.. Has anyone run into this before I know this scope is by no means high end but I had it checked by the dealer who promptly told me nothing is wrong. The group moves about 2 inches to the left when moved from 12-20 power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey varmint man ,

Please , I don't mean to step on any toes here but , Hey , you asked .

The scope you have is not , as you said , "high end " . it is also not " low end " either . That is to say it doesn't even make the list . There are a lot of imports out there that are geared to be visual "eye candy " but performance was never a issue with the folks hiring cheap labor forces to build them .

How much did you spend on it ? Hopefully not too much . One other thought , the poi moves as you say , you know that is so because you experienced it , and the dealer says " there is nothing wrong with it " . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Jim

What Jimm said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But you might check to be sure that the tube isn't in a bind in the mounts. If you're using anything like those horrid Millet Angle-Loc rings, that would cause a problem. (When you're zooming in/out there may be some part of the erector pressing against a strained scope tube).

Make sure that with the top ring caps off the scope sits easily into the bottom halves, with no binding, etc.

Worth a try... failing that, just keep it below a certain power and get along with it until you can replace it with another. Most low dollar/high mag scopes are blurry above about 12X anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
What Jimm said... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Hawke Optics is a trading name of DEBEN in the UK. They make nothing.

It's a basic Chinese scope and you could getter better deals buying in the US I'm sure. ALOT of cheaper scopes suffer POI shift when zooming. It has to do with the way the rear of the erector tube is anchored and optical centricity.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.