Really odd scope issue

Tyler Kemp

I traded scopes with a guy for a essentially NIB Vari-X III LR Tactical model. (It had sat on a gun for years but had not been taken out of the safe)

I got the scope today and mounted it, looked through it and saw something odd. The left and right side of the FOV are not both focused. I can focus one or the other, but not both at the same time. If I look at a tree, right of the crosshairs it is crystal clear, and the left side is a green blob. The problem gets worse as the range does.

What could cause this, the glass is scratch free and clean and the scope "works" fine except the focusing of both sides of the FOV.

Thanks,
Tyler

It is clearer than the camera makes it...but you can definitely tell there is a big difference.

100_0766.jpg

100_0765.jpg

Last edited:
Send it to Leupold, they'll make it right. This winter my dad sent in his old vari-x II he'd bought 30 years ago because the lenses had a yellow tint....two weeks later a brand new VX-II showed up in the mail.

As for whats causing it, possibly a misground lense, or a lense improperly installed. Or, the guy putting your scope together had potato chips for lunch.:D

Just give the customer sevice line a call. They are very helpful and will lead you through the process. They will make it like new. I cant fathom what caused it.

Don't trade any more stuff with this guy and don't buy any used cars from him either. lightbulb

Secondly, unlock the eyepiece ring and see if the eye piece will adjust easily. Or if the threads are jammed.

Third, Loosen up the rings and take the scope off and see if it clears up and or if there are ring marks anywhere from the scope being overtightened and or installed with the rings being lapped.

Not sure if this would make a difference or not, but are the adjustments centered? Try centering the reticle and see if it makes a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.