OCW Interpretation please.

howlemup

This is my first OCW test so please bare with me. I'm relatively new to reloading.

300wm
212 Hornady eld-x bullets
H-1000
Fed 215
Remington cases
.013 off lands
35-45 Degrees 91% humidity
3 shot groups at 100 yards

I think I see the trends but would love some other opinions please. Thanks

42DD2CB2-CFFD-4C9C-A80B-AA4699D8B818.jpeg
649707AC-480F-4EB6-8F81-C7EC13AE222A.jpeg
08ACFA6F-4F33-4AF3-86FD-3FD0C5CF626D.jpeg
CD7F03E4-E5DC-41AA-A5BA-6551ECABA354.jpeg
C9C4A64D-5D42-4768-9F35-A6EAA547FFD3.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you chrono the loads? 72.4 looks good.73.7 or73.8 should be good and probably another node at 75.2 or 75.3. If you did chrono everything it would be helpful if not I would shoot the loads I suggested with a chrono.

The 73.3 to 73.9 looks like the big sweet spot, but I would look at the 75.1 to 75.4 if you are not seeing any pressure signs.

Would be nice to know what the velocity was but I know OCW doesn't rely on it.

Hmmm. Very interesting. Your white line drawn through the center of each group may be a visual representation of accuracy at various points of the barrel whip. Perhaps someone with a little knowledge of that phenomenon may weigh in.

While I would have tried a couple five round groups of each lot, if this were my results, I might just try ten or fifteen at the 72.4 & 73.9 weights to see if the results are repeatable. If so, great recipe!

what powder?

have you started seeing pressure signs.

you have some nice low charge weight nodes but i am sure you would want to find your max and then back off from that to your first good node.
i would do a little more investigating both sides of 75 if no pressure signs.

Seems to me that rfurman pretty much nailed it based on this target. Depending on what you want from this load, you have several options. I would pick the node that best suited me and then work on seating depth.

I did chrono and will post that info here soon. I was getting some odd readings though and am not sure I trust them all.

Ok updated with more info please let me know if I can get you any more info.

As far as pressure signs go this rifle has never given me clear signs of pressure which scares me. No sticky bolt lift. Always has cratered and flattened primers.

Looks like my reading from chronograph. My guess he is using something similar to what I have. I have the Caldwell Chrony....

I average my readings to get a low average...alway seems one will be real low. It's not very often one goes high...

This is going to be my cry once purchase!

IMO **** hard to really tell anything with 100 fps variation with every load. Something is not right. Chrono is not working accurately or powder weights are way off in consistency. Only one relatively close was 73.9
I am using the pro chrono. Usually is decently consistent but I was shooting through it at all different angles and don't think it liked it.

I am using Remington brass. I haven't started neck turning yet. I did sort bullets by weight and brass by weight but am planning on actually sorting brass by case volume. I did use a RCBS Chargemaster to throw charges.

I would definitely retest at 75.1, 75.4 and add 75.7 and see what you get. It appears to me this is an accuracy node just after the "scatter node" of 74.8.

I would also say that 73-73.9 is a lower node

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.