OCW Target Interpretation

mrjashu

Looking for some advice on where to go next. Here's the relevant info.

300 wsm in 24" barrel
Reloader 16, this string is 59.5g to 63.0g in 0.5g increments
Berger 185g Classic Hunter
COAL is 2.900 ( I tested four different COALs at 59.0g to arrive at this one)

At the top charge of 63.0g there were no signs of pressure at all. Primers looked just like all the rest, with no other pressure signs.

Where would you go after this? This is a Factory Rem sporter barrel so expectations aren't super high but I do want to get all I can out of it.
Thanks in advance for looking.
135gBergWorkup.png

Last edited:
I'm still fairly new to load development, so take this with a grain of salt.

If it were me, I would run it up to max first. If you're not seeing pressure signs, why stop?

Assuming no higher charges look promising, I would try to run #211 out to 300-500 yards, exploring .1 and. 2 grains either way from 63 and see if it still looks good.

After that, fine adjustments on the seating depth to see if the group can be tightened.

Again, grain of salt.

I'd probably load up one each from 62.4 to 63.4, going at 0.1 per.
In such, check only the velocity. You'll see a flat spot with regard to speed, and there is where your node will be. As #210 and #211 are close with regard to group placement on the target as well as velocity, the sweet spot likely is hiding there.

Continue on the path you have started. The other two are suggesting veering slightly off your path. If It were my rifle I would I would load 62.8, 63.0, 63.2, and 63.4. I would guess 63.0 will be you load.

These two replies pretty much nailed it. 62 (209) appears to be a scatter node. You would expect the next accuracy node to be 1.5% above that, or 62.9. I would load 62.8 - 63.2 in 0.1 gr increments and shoot at extended range if possible, either early or late when there is no wind. I bet you will find your answer there. I am betting that at least 2 or 3 in that group will shoot with the same vertical. If you can shoot over a chronograph that would be good. I still trust my target over my chronograph. After that, test seating depth for best grouping.

Thanks for the ideas, you all pretty much confirmed my thoughts that I potentially only have part of the node on the top end.
I'll try to get out this weekend and shoot some more test.
Thanks again!

185gBergWorkupDetail.jpg
Shot some more tests this weekend. Here is the series starting with 62.5g from the last test, in 0.2g increments up to 63.6g. (still no pressure signs at 63.6, primers are nice and rounded)

At this point I'm thinking about settling on 63.5g and tweaking seating depth. What do you all think?

Looking at your POI change from the first round of testing to the second makes me question your shooting technique. You need to be honest with yourself about any self induced POI changes. There is nothing pretty about the second round of testing. POI is all over the place. If you forced me to pick I would say 63.5 but I have no confidence due to the POI changes on this target as well as the change from one day to another.

Could you tweak seating a bit for best group shaping at 63.0gr & try again around that charge? Maybe you'll get a little more consistent as well (I agree with rfurman24).

Looking at your POI change from the first round of testing to the second makes me question your shooting technique. You need to be honest with yourself about any self induced POI changes. There is nothing pretty about the second round of testing. POI is all over the place. If you forced me to pick I would say 63.5 but I have no confidence due to the POI changes on this target as well as the change from one day to another.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm still really new at this game so learning as I go. I haven't really seen this kind of POI movement with my smaller caliber rifles, do you think I'm struggling with recoil management? (braked 300wsm) Would I be looking at things like cheek pressure to cause this? The only time I've noticed POI shifts in my smaller calibers is switching positions from the bench to prone which I assume to be cheek pressure.

Seems the SD/ES kinda went to hell on the second round too. Did you clean the rifle or something?

You guys are good! Yes I did although I ran some shots (not part of the test) through the bore with this same powder/bullet combo to foul it a bit before running the test. I knew that cleaning affected accuracy but didn't really think about it affecting the velocity spreads...so much to learn.

Thanks for the great feedback. I'm still really new at this game so learning as I go. I haven't really seen this kind of POI movement with my smaller caliber rifles, do you think I'm struggling with recoil management? (braked 300wsm) Would I be looking at things like cheek pressure to cause this? The only time I've noticed POI shifts in my smaller calibers is switching positions from the bench to prone which I assume to be cheek pressure.

BTW I've had a lot of trouble learning to shoot this rifle, I'm super-stoked to be getting sub-MOA groups! lol!

Looking at the two sets of shots, it seems to me that you have a node with groups 210, 211 & 219 basing this on the fact that the center of the group is at approximately the same amount of vertical over Point of Aim (assumption is you're aiming for the center of the dot). Then a scatter node from 220 - 222 with possibly another accuracy node coming back into play at 223 and 224. Though the ES and SD aren't as good so far in that node.
You might try two more loads - 63.8 and 64, checking for pressure signs (cuz when you see 'em you're well above max pressure) and seeing how those two loads group compared to 223 and 224.
If all else fails, load 211 and play with seating. Then run out to distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.