Nosler Revises ABLR BC's

trhall

I was looking at some 270 load data in the Nosler reloading inline manual last night and noticed that the bc listed for the .277 150 gr ABLR is now listed at .591 verses the .625 it was listed at for the last few years since it came out. Finding that curious I checked the .30 cal 210 gr which was listed at .730 previously and now is listed at .661. I verified that these new BC's are what they are showing for the bullets on the Nosler website. Looks like Bryan Litz's radar testing had some effect on getting Nosler to be a bit more honest on their published BC's. That and the popularity of the Hornady ELD line and Berger revising their BC's made the Nosler ABLR inflated BC's even more obvious. They are still a inflated but not as drastically as they were before.

Thanks Bryan...

LRAB.png

Nice. I just wish that these bullets were stouter on the back end. Keep the tip soft for expansion at long range but maybe even go as far as having a solid copper shank on the bottom half of the bullet much like Federals new Edge TLR.

Nice. I just wish that these bullets were stouter on the back end. Keep the tip soft for expansion at long range but maybe even go as far as having a solid copper shank on the bottom half of the bullet much like Federals new Edge TLR.

Not possible to do that and achieve the desired BC and low velocity terminal performance. The Federal Edge lists minimum velocity in the 1850 fps range which is about a 40% increase over the 1300 for the ABLR.

Seems fudging the BC's on a new product launch is standard Nosler protocol.
I honestly think that the marketing team that made those decisions should be fired. They are obviously totally out of touch with tier market. For them to not understand that the BC is the most important spec for the customer of the long range bullets and also the one spec that will very quickly be identified by those using them as inaccurate shows how totally out of touch that team is. It ended up being very damaging to Nosler's reputation.

The REGULAR AccuBond, is the BEST at, ANY "reasonable", Range ! They expand down to 1,800 FPS in .277 cal., that's OVER, 750 Yards, in a .270 WSM.
Yet at 65-70 Yards, they will NOT,.. "blow up" ! I punched a 1 1/2 inch dia hole thru, the far shoulder blade of, my Bull with the 140 AccuBond at 3,150 FPS Muzzle Vel.
I'm stickin' with, them ! If you think you "need" to shoot 800+ yards, go with Berger Classic Hunters ! Just don't use them, at "close" Range if, you want to EAT your Elk meat. There is, NO "perfect" Bullet, for ALL ranges,..yet !

Last edited:
Straight up false advertising. I am a Nosler fan but the BS they pulled with the ABLR release has left a bad taste.
It's even more ridiculous when you consider that the revised BCs stilll put them right in class with most of the Bergers and ELD's and in some cases better for example the .277 150 gr ABLR revised is .591 compared to the 145 ELD-X at .536. Just makes what they did even more stupid!

The REGULAR AccuBond, is the BEST at, ANY "reasonable", Range ! They expand down to 1,800 FPS in .277 cal., that's OVER, 750 Yards, in a .270 WSM.
Yet at 65-70 Yards, they will NOT,.. "blow up" ! I punched a 1 1/2 inch dia hole thru, the far shoulder blade of, my Bull with the 140 AccuBond at 3,150 FPS Muzzle Vel.
I'm stickin' with, them ! If you think you "need" to shoot 800+ yards, go with Berger Classic Hunters ! Just don't use them, at "close" Range if, you want to EAT your Elk meat. There is, NO "perfect" Bullet, for ALL ranges,..yet !
Thanks but let's keep this thread on subject which is the ABLR revised BC's not so much on terminal performance. That's a totally different subject.

Not possible to do that and achieve the desired BC and low velocity terminal performance. The Federal Edge lists minimum velocity in the 1850 fps range which is about a 40% increase over the 1300 for the ABLR.
Federal edge minimum is 1350

When choosing Bullets, "Terminal Performance" should be, our #1 concern and BC further down, the list. In my .270 WSM @ 3,150 FPS, the .277 AB 140, had a "Validated" BC of, .480, in MY Rifle, so it was a bit, "inflated" from the .496 promised.
The regular AB's are a good blend of Term Perf. and descent BC.

You mentioned, Term Perf,.. HERE ^^^^ so I thought that, I was agreeing with, YOU !
I guess, NOT !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.