Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

Bryan,

So then a 1:9 twist WILL adequately stabilize a 7mm 175gr ABLR for accuracy BUT a faster twist would optimize the bullets performance?

Bryan, if you're still out there, can you answer this for me??

What about the new .308 168gr and .338 265gr ABLR? The bc is a bit optimistic i think :)

Unless they are unlike the other LRAB's, they are a lot optimistic! They are VERY easy to expand which pretty much makes them useless at close range. My friend had a bad experience with a white tail when firing a 150 out of my 270 SS at 3150'. The range was about 130 yards and blew most of the shoulder off of the buck and barely got into the vitals! All I had to do was cut the hide to remove the shoulder; or what was left of it. They probably work great at long range, but again, the b.c. is greatly exaggerated.....Rich 150 LRAB bullet damage.jpg

Unless they are unlike the other LRAB's, they are a lot optimistic! They are VERY easy to expand which pretty much makes them useless at close range. My friend had a bad experience with a white tail when firing a 150 out of my 270 SS at 3150'. The range was about 130 yards and blew most of the shoulder off of the buck and barely got into the vitals! All I had to do was cut the hide to remove the shoulder; or what was left of it. They probably work great at long range, but again, the b.c. is greatly exaggerated.....RichView attachment 70749

I'd say many of the hunters who would use the 168 30 cal are probably going to run them in 308s and 30-06s. At those velocities, I think they would be useful at close range. At 300 win mag velocities and higher, you're probably right. Useless at close range.

As far as the BC goes, I'm guessing it's highly inflated.

It is definitely a good addition to the already many great options us 308 win shooters have. I've had great luck with the ABLRs in my 300 win and 280 AI. No reason I can't have good luck with them in my 308.

Cheers!

Unless they are unlike the other LRAB's, they are a lot optimistic! They are VERY easy to expand which pretty much makes them useless at close range. My friend had a bad experience with a white tail when firing a 150 out of my 270 SS at 3150'. The range was about 130 yards and blew most of the shoulder off of the buck and barely got into the vitals! All I had to do was cut the hide to remove the shoulder; or what was left of it. They probably work great at long range, but again, the b.c. is greatly exaggerated.....RichView attachment 70749

I've got Lilja barrel 270 and 2015 I drew early mulie buck tag here in Co. I was one of 20 that got a tag for that unit and I use 150gr ABLR @ 2959fps. It wasn't long shot I hope for, less than 200yd. He was up hill from me and shot him just below where neck join his chest and bullet exits just above and back of his left shoulder and he dropped in his track I had very little damage. Maybe ideal shot compared to shooting them in shoulder. I use that rifle same year as back up 4th season cow tag and hunted couple day with it but no luck with it. Few years before that I shot big 5x5 mulie and was in dark timber shot about 60yd back of the front shoulder with 165gr AB from 30-338mag and it ruin both shoulders and found bullet just under the hide off shoulder and it weight 82grs. I think about that AB same as you think about that 150gr ABLR and got to hate when that happens.

I've got Lilja barrel 270 and 2015 I drew early mulie buck tag here in Co. I was one of 20 that got a tag for that unit and I use 150gr ABLR @ 2959fps. It wasn't long shot I hope for, less than 200yd. He was up hill from me and shot him just below where neck join his chest and bullet exits just above and back of his left shoulder and he dropped in his track I had very little damage. Maybe ideal shot compared to shooting them in shoulder. I use that rifle same year as back up 4th season cow tag and hunted couple day with it but no luck with it. Few years before that I shot big 5x5 mulie and was in dark timber shot about 60yd back of the front shoulder with 165gr AB from 30-338mag and it ruin both shoulders and found bullet just under the hide off shoulder and it weight 82grs. I think about that AB same as you think about that 150gr ABLR and got to hate when that happens.

Interesting! Your impact velocity was probably at least 250' less than mine. Maybe that was just enough to make that difference?. Also, I have an 8.5 twist barrel which is probably faster than yours? I have had some argument over rotational velocity having an affect on expansion, but I am convinced that it does and have proven it in testing.....Rich

I have a feeling they'll run BCs closer to the ELDs and Sierra TMKs in real life. Anxious to try them in 30-06

Even if it came in at .355-.36 (g7) it would make a viable option. Any less and you would be far ahead with the eld or 300 hybrid. .35 would be just undrr a 10% drop from the claims, which I can see.
The one that really disappoints is the 142 6.5mm. Only a gain of .01 in bc, but a 150ish fps drop in both my 6.5's.

Even if it came in at .355-.36 (g7) it would make a viable option. Any less and you would be far ahead with the eld or 300 hybrid. .35 would be just undrr a 10% drop from the claims, which I can see.
The one that really disappoints is the 142 6.5mm. Only a gain of .01 in bc, but a 150ish fps drop in both my 6.5's.

We'll see, but I dont think it'll be over .345-.350 G7

Michael Eichele

Saw your post with the bull you got. Wow. And the bullet held together. Kind of makes sense since you were 600 yards out. You mentioned you had the 210 working pretty well in your 300 Win. I haven't figured out what the trick is to get the ABLRs to work. Would you be willing to share your load data? Thanks.

Michael Eichele

Saw your post with the bull you got. Wow. And the bullet held together. Kind of makes sense since you were 600 yards out. You mentioned you had the 210 working pretty well in your 300 Win. I haven't figured out what the trick is to get the ABLRs to work. Would you be willing to share your load data? Thanks.

Not sure what the trick is either. The 210s shoot every bit as good in my 300 as the 208 amax and 215 hybrid. In my 280 AI, the 168s are awesome too. In my 6.5-284, the 142 is the only bullet that shoots well in my very worn out barrel. With that, I haven't been able to get the 190s to shoot well in anything and the 210s only do so-so in my 308. I thought the liked a lot of jump as my 300 and 6.5 loads jump quite a bit but the 168s in the 280 are kissing the lands. I'm not sure what the secret is. I've not heard of much success on accuracy regarding the 190 or the 150 7mm variety. I have no guess as to why. My load is H1000 over 210m primers housed in a Norma case. I don't recall the coal. Barrel is a factory sendero fluted 10x.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts