Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
I've been able to get my hands on 4 out of the 7 LR Accubonds; everything up thru 7mm 168 grain. The following summarizes my BC testing of these bullets.

One of the big questions is: are the BC's actually as high as they're claimed/advertised to be?

See the chart below for a summary of my live fire test results.

LRAB.png

As you can see, the actual BC's can be quite close; within 1-8% of advertised if they're properly stabilized. If they're not properly stabilized (which you might not know according to groups), the BC can be 10-12% lower than advertised.

The LR AB's are well designed (low drag) bullets. One reality of long/low drag bullets is they typically require faster than conventional twist rates to stabilize. However Nosler doesn't provide recommended 'specialty' twist rates for these bullets (at least not that I could find) so users are left to assume that standard twist rates will work.

accubondsLR.png

For example, the .270 caliber 150 grain LRAB fired from a 1:10" twist 270 Winchester only produced an SG (stability factor) of 1.19 under the conditions of the test. This low stability resulted in a G7 BC of 0.278, which is 12% below the advertised value of .317. Note that groups were good at this stability level. However, in order to achieve the highest BC, you need to generate a stability factor of at least 1.5*. Retesting the bullet in a 1:7" twist 270 Winchester produced an SG of 2.31, and a BC that's 4% higher (0.291).

It's the same story with the 7mm 168 grain. Fired from a 'standard' 1:9" twist 7mm Remington Magnum, the stability factor was 1.33, and the BC was 10% less than advertised. Same bullet fired from a 1:7" twist .284 Winchester produced an SG of 2.19, and a BC that's 4% higher, and within 6% of the advertised BC.

* New book plug :) : A lot has been learned in recent testing focused on spin rate, stability and BC which is being published in my newest book: Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting.

In summary, the Nosler LR Accubonds are a dramatic improvement over the standard Accobonds in terms of BC's which is a great thing for long range hunters. However you do need to be aware of the stability requirements for these long bullets and aim for a stability factor of 1.5 or higher.

You can calculate your bullets stability factor using this online calculator

None of my testing focused on precision/group testing other than the observation that groups were the same at the marginal and high stability levels.

If anyone has some 7mm 175 grain, or .308 190/210 grain samples of the LR Accubonds that they could spare for testing, I'll be happy to share results. I'd need about 15 bullets to test.

Take care,
-Bryan

Bryan,

Wonderful info. Thanks. I was unaware of the phenomena you mentioned and thought that anything from stable flight or better is good enough. What is it about a bullet that causes the BC to change with spin rate? Do you have a graph of the effect that correlates stability factor with BC for a given bullet?

I found out from Nosler yesterday that the two ABLRs you asked about are going to hit the streets in October and August respectively so you should be able to buy some by then if no one comes forward with a donation.

It looks like the 190's have an SG of 1.68 in a 10 twist, which appears to be enough based on your 1.5+ rule of thumb. Do you think that is sufficiently high?

I should have 190 grain .308 caliber in my garage. I just got back from being out of town for two weeks and may not be able to ship them out for a few days, maybe sooner but the next few days will be really hectic. But I may be able to get them out Monday if things fall my way.

I got a box from Cabela's last night and I haven't opened it yet, but is is supposed to have 200 count of the 190's in it. So unless there was a mix up in the order I have them.

You can PM me your shipping info and I'll try to get them out as soon as I can.

Thx

Tom

Bryan,

Thanks again for taking the lead with BC tests to include the twist results!!!

I have your new book on pre-order! I'm holding back the news from the wife....She quite frequently makes the comment at night, "Are you reading those blue shooting books again!":D ummmm, YEA. Now I will have a third to add to the collection.

I have ample 175 gr ALR's if no other takers. My 30's are gone. Hopefully a member has all three they can supply. If not send me a PM.

Any news on a 230 gr Hunting Hybrid?

Bryan,

I'm getting substantially higher Miller SG values with the Berger Bullets calculator, compared to your tested SG values. Here's an example with the LRAB .284 175gr @ 3000 fps MV. 9" twist barrel. Bullet length for this LRAB is 1.510" according to Nosler's web site. You're posting a similar "Tested" SG value for the .284 150gr LRAB in a 9" twist barrel.

Are your "Tested" SG values being determined using a more accurate method?

Berger Bullets Twist Rate Stability Calculator
Nosler284175grMillerSGCalc_zpse9842e81.jpg

I just measured four of the LRAB .284 175gr bullets and they all measured 1.540" long. The plastic tip measures 0.140" long. When I calculate an SG using Patagonia Ballistic's ColdBore 1.0 Twist & Stability calculator, which includes an option for plastic-tipped bullets, I get a Miller SG value of 1.70, using all the same input values in the above Berger Bullets calculator solution.

If I calculate the SG with ColdBore 1.0 as if the bullet is metal/lead all the way out to the tip and 1.540" long, I get a Miller SG value of 1.42.

ColdBore 1.0 Twist & Stability calculator
Nosler284175grMillerSGPlastic-TippedCalc_zpsfd68c465.jpg

Last edited:
Bryan,

Thank you for sharing. You know what? I admit I've been critical of you off and on over the years as I'm sure you noticed. Anyway, I would like to apologize for that. I've made my share of mistakes in certain calculations and argued with you way too much about them. Anyway, thank you for sharing. I did run the 210s over double chronies side by side with the 208 amax and found the 210 ALR to be 3-4% lower than the 208. It would be interesting to compare those results to yours when you get a chance to test some to see if I did it right. These were fired out of a 10x barrel in the 2700'sec range.

M

If anyone has some 7mm 175 grain, or .308 190/210 grain samples of the LR Accubonds that they could spare for testing, I'll be happy to share results. I'd need about 15 bullets to test.

Take care,
-Bryan

I figured you would have the clout to get whatever you needed for testing from Nosler. Do they not consider you a Friendly?

See the chart below for a summary of my live fire test results.

LRAB.png

As you can see, the actual BC's can be quite close; within 1-8% of advertised if they're properly stabilized. However, in order to achieve the highest BC, you need to generate a stability factor of at least 1.5*.

* New book plug : A lot has been learned in recent testing focused on spin rate, stability and BC which is being published in my newest book: Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting.

accubondsLR.png

Take care,
-Bryan

With the plastic tips on these bullets (which actually yields a higher calculated SG value), wouldn't this shift your required (calculated) SG values even higher than the 1.5 rule-of-thumb, in order to realize a BC value closest to Nosler's advertised BCs?

With the plastic tips on these bullets (which actually yields a higher calculated SG value), wouldn't this shift your required (calculated) SG values even higher than the 1.5 rule-of-thumb, in order to realize a BC value closest to Nosler's advertised BCs?

It does appear that may be the case. Nonetheless, a much tighter uncommon twist rate was required to bring BC's in line with advertised values.

I'm hoping Bryan addresses variance in BC values in his new book relevant to twist rate and velocity similar to what Sierra has posted with velocity bands.

I have a 7 twist 7 Mag waiting for the 195's. Maybe I'll try pushing the 175 ALRs as hard as I can and see how they compare with anticipated drop and hold to precision. If twist does improve BC, I arguably could achieve a BC value greater than the advertised 210 Berger but less than the 215 Hybrid with greater velocity potential than the 300 Mag.

Yeah, I'm not planning to replace my barrels in order to get any extra 5% BC value out of a bullet. There seems to be a trade off, because I've read many times that bench rest competitors don't like to spin their bullets any faster than necessary when seeking the very best accuracy in the world. Now I don't know if they're doing this for 100yds, 1000yds or all competitive yardages. And I don't know the level of degradation in group sizes realized with increased spin rates. I've always read that for hunting, spinning the bullet a little faster doesn't make or break accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.