Nosler Brass Thickness

Nosler is mostly just soft IME. Nothing tough about it compared to Lapua or ADG. If your opening up pockets in ADG quickly your probably way over pressure but it's hard brass and doesn't get ejector marks until your in the scary zone.

Nosler is mostly just soft IME,what is IME ?

Thanks for asking....now I don't have to. Someone has to make the Nosler brass and I doubt it is Nosler. Who makes Nosler brass?
As far as I know IME stands for In My Experience.
Back in 2017 in an article in either the Rifle or Reloader Magazine John Nosler told John Barsness that Nosler hoped to be making all their own brass by 2018.

I find with Nosler brass I hit pressure quicker than Hornady or Lapua. Is Nosler brass thicker than other brands? The primer pockets on Nosler brass are tough.
On my 7-08 brass The nosler brass weights 10 gr. more then my Hornady brass. There for the Nosler brass has less combustible space for the powder and pressure spikes faster higher at near cartridge capacity.

You cannot assume case weight means less capacity until you actually measure case volume. The extractor cut is one of the largest variables in case weight and has no impact on volume.

There are dozens of reports on this, here's just one showing that while there is a limited correlation between weight and volume that volume variance can be reduced over the life of brass with correct sizing regardless of case weight variances:

Even Peterson says it's bunk and you have to measure volume:

I think Nosler has had quite a few manufactures make brass for them over the years. I'm 95% sure some of the early stuff was Federal (junk). The wsm cases were Norma, now I'm pretty sure they are in house because they don't weight or load the same as the stuff from a few years ago. Most of the belted stuff I think was Norma too. I'm not sure who made the Nosler (28, 30,33) brass but it was horrible soft. In 280 ai the Nosler stuff work hardens faster then anything I have ever seen. You either anneal every firing or step down a bushing every firing or bullets will literally fall into the case.

I shouldn't say it's horrible stuff, I think it depends on who made it and when it was made. I think that's why the reviews are all over the place on Nosler brass. If it was priced the same as Winchester or Hornady it would be good stuff. But it's priced the same or more then Lapua or ADG and in no way does it even come close to them.

You cannot assume case weight means less capacity until you actually measure case volume. The extractor cut is one of the largest variables in case weight and has no impact on volume.

There are dozens of reports on this, here's just one showing that while there is a limited correlation between weight and volume that volume variance can be reduced over the life of brass with correct sizing regardless of case weight variances:

Even Peterson says it's bunk and you have to measure volume:
Interesting reading. But lets start with the second one first with Peterson statement. I find that my Peterson 300 WM brass only shows a + or minus of 1 gr. therefore I would not expect much difference in velocity or pressure. My 300 Sig brass weights 15 grans less then the Peterson and I never load the 2 the same. (Think most anyone would agree that switching components entails reworking up loads). Now the first article you quoted by his own admission he shows that the brass was not prepared evenly. My experience with the example I used on the 7-08 Nosler vs. Hornaday shows different results . Both brands of brass Trimmed to min. length, neck turned, and on 4 to 9 firings. All brass was sized pushing back the shoulder just enough so bolt lock down has resistance 1/3 way down. Both brass in same camber. When I tried to use the Nosler brass with same bullet and powder (H4350) where I was loading the Hornady brass I ended up with a big pressure spike. ( Hard bolt release, caved primer, ejector marks and a nearly 200 fps velocity increase. Yes I did not follow my own advice and tried to take a short cut. How you get experience I guess. Just one mans opinion an no disrespect to another man's. I am not jacking with water in my brass.

Oh. Superperformance. Say no more. I like the powder but it seems to be finicky. 30-06 and 150gn SSTs it was smoking fast, but 6.5CM and 140s Ramshot Hunter beat it by 100 FPS. Pressure signs were popping up with SP below max loads (Hornady data in Hornady brass) and it was slow on their conservative book data.

Oh. Superperformance. Say no more. I like the powder but it seems to be finicky. 30-06 and 150gn SSTs it was smoking fast, but 6.5CM and 140s Ramshot Hunter beat it by 100 FPS. Pressure signs were popping up with SP below max loads (Hornady data in Hornady brass) and it was slow on their conservative book data.

I've got some Ramshot Hunter as well. Trying to find a good powder for the 120-130 grain bullets in Creedmoor. H4350 is what I use in 140+ grain bullets.

That is very interesting. I weighted WBY, Nosler, Hornady and R-P for 300WBY. In that order brass weight: 231.8, 231.5, 253, 254
Capacities same order, 100.6, 101, 98.6, 97.8
That is the only brass I have in three or more suppliers.