Brass Thickness

Out Back

I have some Norma Brass for my 17 Remington and some Nosler both cases weight about the same.

I have not found any Remington brass yet.

Can there be a difference in the two types of Brass?? Even though they weight about the same.

I have some Norma Brass for my 17 Remington and some Nosler both cases weight about the same.

I have not found any Remington brass yet.

Can there be a difference in the two types of Brass?? Even though they weight about the same.

Yes.
Different company's use different alloys to make there cases . some alloys work best for durability and some are easier to form/size. (Softer)

There is a near perfect alloy that will get you both advantages but most cases are to hard or to soft. it appears that Lapua has the best alloy and the best design (Another reason it last longer than most cases).

I have had good luck with Remington in the past but with the current shortages most case manufactures don't seem to care about the quality.

DWM was the best brass I ever used and Lapua is not far behind it. the softest brass I ever found was the Winchester and the hardest was federal (At one time they made Nosler brass).and I only got several loadings before they started to split at the neck shoulder junction.

Also another problem that has appeared lately is that most of the newly manufactured brass does not have a final annealing. Now I buy only brass that still has annealing marks on it.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

J E - what is DWM brass? I'm not familiar with them.

I hope I don't screw this up. My English is bad but my German is terrible.

DWM stands for= Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken. sorry if I misspelled it.

It was the toughest brass I ever saw. I had a rifle for 1000 yard matches (Slightly over loaded) that would occasionally blow primers on the first firing of all brands of brass and would be destroyed after the second firing. The DWM would get me 3 to 4 firings before they gave up.

Note : this was when I was young and dumb. I now know better and I am not tempted to pushing the loads beyond pressure limits.

I don think they make brass any more, but if they did, I would have some today.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
And to add to JE post,

Here is the head stamps for DWM brass,

DWM B Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G., Berlin - Borsigwalde, Germany
DWM H Ederlandsche Wapen-en Munitiefabriek NV., "DE KRUITHOORN, 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands
DWM K Deutsche Waffen u. Munitionsfabriken, Karlsruhe, Germany
DWM L Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G., (Previously Deutsche Metall-Patronen-Fabrik),
Lübeck, Germany

Tia,
Don

I hope I don't screw this up. My English is bad but my German is terrible.

DWM stands for= Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken. sorry if I misspelled it.

It was the toughest brass I ever saw. I had a rifle for 1000 yard matches (Slightly over loaded) that would occasionally blow primers on the first firing of all brands of brass and would be destroyed after the second firing. The DWM would get me 3 to 4 firings before they gave up.

Note : this was when I was young and dumb. I now know better and I am not tempted to pushing the loads beyond pressure limits.

I don think they make brass any more, but if they did, I would have some today.

J E CUSTOM

Wow man, that sounds like pushing the envelope. Thanks for the info!

-- Todd

And to add to JE post,

Here is the head stamps for DWM brass,

DWM B Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G., Berlin - Borsigwalde, Germany
DWM H Ederlandsche Wapen-en Munitiefabriek NV., "DE KRUITHOORN, 's-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands
DWM K Deutsche Waffen u. Munitionsfabriken, Karlsruhe, Germany
DWM L Deutsche Waffen-u. Munitionsfabriken A.-G., (Previously Deutsche Metall-Patronen-Fabrik),
Lübeck, Germany

Tia,
Don

Thanks Don.

It looks like I spelled it correct.

J E CUSTOM

Wow man, that sounds like pushing the envelope. Thanks for the info!

-- Todd

I would not recommend that now that I am older and hopefully wiser.

I had a 7 RM that Loved velocity and with velocity comes better trajectory and Time of flight (All good things at 1000+ yards) My load pushed the 168 grain SMK at 3254 ft/sec but was very heat sensitive.

Now if I want that velocity I just go with a larger case with slower powder.

J E CUSTOM

JE

Glad I could help out,
I have a site that shows all head stamps for most all brass made, for US and Over seas etc.
Comes in handy when I find STRANGE brass at the range etc.

Tia,
Don

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.