Nosler brass thickness problems?

Shumba

I purchased some Nosler 300 RUM brass for my 338 Edge and I have run into some issues. I am curious if anyone else has run into these issues.

First, the primer pockets are so tight my K&M priming tool cannot seat the primers fully into the pockets, leaving them protruding above the case head.

Next issue is neck thickness. I loaded up 10 rounds to break in my new Edge. I loaded a light load 5gr below Shawn C listed load for 250 SMK. During break in I noticed several cases had slight ejector marks, this surprised me because of the reduced load.

Yesterday I drilled and threaded a fired case to fit my Stoney point gauge. Upon inserting a Berger 300g hybrid in the case to take a land depth measurement I found the bullet would not go in the fired Cade neck... WTH??

The lightbulb in my head came on! I got out my neck thickness gauge and took some measurements of the Nosler case necks .016-.017.

Well .017x2+.338=.372 That explains the ejector marks on the cases fired in my .371 NK 338 Edge!

I measured some Remington 300 RUM brass necks and it come out the typical .014-.015. Has anyone else ran into this "thick brass" and primer pocket issue with Nosler brass?

My latest batch of Nosler Custom brass for my 300RUM typically measured between .015-.016. Most of the time they were right at .0155. I attempted to to neck turn a couple just to perfect the slight variance and found that the brass out of the box was too tight to even get my turning mandrel in without damaging the i.d. of the brass. I suppose if I sized them first I could turn ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.