Nosler Ballistic Tips

With the 7 mm Rem mag get you some 154 gr Hornady SST or the old Interlock bullets for deer. I shot the Interlock before the SST came out and found it was most consistent drop a deer DRT bullet of any of the numerous bullets I tried in the 7 mag. My hunting buddy has done loading for years for bunches of people that kill lots of deer in eastern NC and about 9 out of 10 people with a 7 mag want the 154 Hornady bullet. It might not be sexy but it works. :D

The Nosler BT's were super accurate out of my gun but I did not hunt with them.
I used some for practice as I had a box a friend gave me. In my limited experience they shot in the same spot as my Nosler Accubonds (180) gr with zero adjustment.
For punching paper these would be perfect.
I liked the way they shot.

If it were me I would just use an Accubond as it's a better built bullet that will stay together on those marginal shots. I think the Accubond would serve you better and it also works very well for Elk sized game.

I have a 'problem child' 7mag Sendero that just doesn't work well with 168 VLDs. I've tried many, many seating depths and about 5 different powders.
I've been thinking about trying 150gr NBT.

The 3200fps rule still applies of course, but with a 26" barrel I could run a 150 gr NBT to about 3300fps MV and be at about 3200fps at under 200 yards.

Anyone have any pet loads for this combo? It's a 9.25 twist.

I must have shot 300 140 Berger VLD thru my savage LRH 6.5-284 trying to get it to shoot them. I finally gave up. Nosler BT bullets are my go to bullets so I grabbed some 140 in those. Shoots 1/4-1/2 moa all day with those. So they may work in your situation. No help on the pet load though

I must have shot 300 140 Berger VLD thru my savage LRH 6.5-284 trying to get it to shoot them. I finally gave up. Nosler BT bullets are my go to bullets so I grabbed some 140 in those. Shoots 1/4-1/2 moa all day with those. So they may work in your situation. No help on the pet load though

Yeah I just got done reviewing all my targets from this rifle. It seems that 162 amax and 160 SGK shot ok but I have to save the 162 amax for my other 7mag ( borderline BR precision in that rifle )!!
Life is too short to try to pound vlds into submission in this barrel. Come to think about it every barrel I've ever tried NBT in shot great. I just love the performance and ballistics of VLDs, and am extremely determined ( hard-headed)!

Yeah I just got done reviewing all my targets from this rifle. It seems that 162 amax and 160 SGK shot ok but I have to save the 162 amax for my other 7mag ( borderline BR precision in that rifle )!!
Life is too short to try to pound vlds into submission in this barrel. Come to think about it every barrel I've ever tried NBT in shot great. I just love the performance and ballistics of VLDs, and am extremely determined ( hard-headed)!

I hear ya man. I bought that gun to shoot VLD in. And I tried and tried to make it shoot them. Finally just gave up before I burnt the barrel up trying to shoot it into submission.

Worked on seating depth today.
Looks like this load out runs my 168vld load out to 600 yards or so according to JBM. Energy suffers a bit but the precision an confidence in a good load is worth it.

Rem 700
7mm Rem Mag Sendero
150 NBT
71.9gr imr7828 (long cut)
CCI250

Shot at 200 yards ,bull bag only. No rear rest.

Pics

Attachments

• 20160221_130251.jpg
    20160221_130251.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 92
Gents,

I've searched the site, and have found some pretty good info on Nosler BT's, but I haven't found how effective they are at ranges out past 250 yards on whitetail sized game.

I shoot either a 165gr Ballistic Tip in a Winchester case over either 44 gr Varget or 43.5gr IMR-4064 and a WLR primer in 308win or a 90gr Ballistic Tip in a winchester case over 33 gr Varget and a WLR primer in 243win. I don't have a chrono, so my velocities would be guessing, but I have found both to be accurate, sub MOA(.6 - .7" area) at 100yards and they hold .7 moa at 200yards.

I have read that the Ballistic Tip isn't a good choice for game out far. Now, I tend to take what most people say with 1 gr of iodized salt over a can of BS, becuase out far for most is 200 yards, but that isn't the case here.

With these rounds, shot out of a Winchester M70 308(1:12 twist) 26" tube and a Remington 788 with 21" tube(1:9 twist)respectively, is there any way of knowing how far out these will perform as intended. I won't take a shot unless I know it's good, but limit my distance with these rounds to under 200 yards because I'm unsure of their penetration/expansion perfromance at distances greater than 100 yards, where I've found them to be excellent.

Sorry if I'm vague, I'm just trying to plan next years deer season's loads now. Testing on 'yotes will be my next project.. and learning how to sit still in the woods..

FatBoy...

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: FatBoy... ]

I have had different results than some and have nothing but good things to say about the Ballistic tips If the bullet placement is correct and recommended velocities are reached.

Match/target Bullets are by nature very accurate, BUT I have never been 100% satisfied with there
performance on game because they were inconsistent.

Bullets perform differently for different people because of there preferred POI and the velocity and each person should find the bullet that works best for there style and needs.

I personally decided to switch from match bullets to hunting bullets years ago to improve the Impact performance on game. I found that the Ballistic tips replaced the match grade bullets
very well and used then at longer distances because they would expand at the lower velocities
of longer shots.

I tried them in an STW and the velocities were to fast under 400 yards but they worked better than other bullets at 800 + yards because they still expanded. I use them in my 7/08 pistol and have been 100% successful beyond 500 yards on deer.

When velocities exceed 3200 at the point of impact (POI) they become marginal if shoulder or spine shots are taken. I prefer a lung shot at most distances and the Ballistic tip works great If shot placement is in this area.

On bigger game I prefer a bonded core bullet for thicker skin and shoulder or neck shots. I want a bullet that Is accurate, performs well with long shots and with good shot placement can be very dependable at closer ranges.

Every bullet has it's strong points and weak points so choosing the best depends on your distance and preference of each persons Point of aim. (There is no golden bullet that will do everything better than other bullets, only some things).

I use many different bullets depending on the game size and distance to be used, and the ballistic tip
is just one of them.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Unless your shooting at 200 yards or more I want NOTHING to do with them...too many bad experiences with them, however if you paper punching they are one of the most if not the most accurate bullets ever made !!

Thanks,
That big green bag is what I use in my bean field blind.

It's tricky to use in load development but I figure might as well be as close to real-world conditions instead of full benchrest.

Unless your shooting at 200 yards or more I want NOTHING to do with them...too many bad experiences with them, however if you paper punching they are one of the most if not the most accurate bullets ever made !!

Not trying to start an argument but I use the 120 gr BT in my 7/08 @ 3010 ft/sec and it drops deer and hogs in there tracks out to velocities above 1800 ft/sec.

And 150's in the 7/08 pistol to well beyond 500 yards. your experiences with them may be different
because of velocity. for cases where I want a tougher bullet because of velocity or heavy game I normally use the Accubond because it holds up at extreme velocities.

I just came back from a Red Stag hunt and the 140 gr BT worked perfect out of a 7 WSM @ 3250
ft/sec and dropped the stag in it's tracts with a complete pass through with a 2" exit. The shot was behind the shoulder so no major bones were encountered. The Distance was 174 yards.

I have no stock in Nosler so I use bullets that work best for me in different rifles for different uses.
If I was to inventory how many different brand/type of bullets I load for my rifles I would be somewhere around 14 or 15 different brands.

Just saying

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.