Exceeding speed limit on Nosler Ballistic Tips

just_jon

Purchased new 80 grain BTs for use in 6mm Rem load development and noticed that box shows a max speed of 3200 fps. I plan on loading in the 3400-3500 fps range and am interested if anyone has experienced problems exceeding 3200 fps.

Not with that exact bullet. I have run other bullets nearly 200 FPS faster than recommended with no ill effects. It will come down to your exact barrels interior characteristics, twist rate and RPM more than anything. I have had a 22-250 Rem that would pop bullets using the same load that was perfectly content in a different rifle. All you can do is go into it knowing that they may not work. As anything nowadays, most guidelines and specifications are lawyered up considerably so you may have some wiggle room, although 3500 may be pushing the limits.

The velocity they list is the maximum recommended at the POI for normal expansion. If you shot something at those velocities, at point blank range The bullet would be explosive and probably come apart.

The bullet itself can deal with much more velocity at the muzzle, To fast of a Twist rate seems to be the downfall of many bullets because of the RPM it has to deal with.

The ballistic tip is one of MY favorite bullets for long range shooting because they will still expand at reduced velocities.

The fastest velocity I have personally reached with a ballistic tip has been 4600+ ft/sec with good accuracy, Barrel twist was slow (1 in 15 )in this rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Yes^^^ I should have clarified. The speeds listed for ballistic tips refer to expansion constraints. The bullets I was referring to were some of the old school Sierra and Hornady bullets that had velocity limits due to rpm restrictions. Ballistic Tips can stand some extreme velocity and RPMs.

Looked at the box again and noticed pictures of expanded bullets at varying speeds. Not sure why I was equating bullet performance with muzzle speed. Thanks for setting me straight.

No worries.

Muzzle velocity is the velocity most refer to when buying ammo, but Impact velocity is the one that counts when hunting.

Most bullet makers will give the recommended Impact velocities of their bullets. The bonded core bullets and the mono metal ones will handle a little more at Impact
but normally 1800 to 3100 is the standard range for performance on game. Shooting paper eliminates this requirement and the velocity can be much higher.

J E CUSTOM

Nosler conveys a different message on their website:

6mm 80 Grain Ballistic Tip® Varmint Bullet (100ct)
These bullets deliver the accuracy, consistency and down range punch required for clean kills in all situations. These flat shooting, wind defying bullets utilize ballistic designed boat tails and polymer tips to increase long-range efficiency and protect against tip damage in the magazine. Unique tapered jacket provides controlled expansion at all practical ranges and velocities.
Minimum Velocity: 1600 fps
Maximum Velocity: Unlimited

Nosler conveys a different message on their website:

6mm 80 Grain Ballistic Tip® Varmint Bullet (100ct)
These bullets deliver the accuracy, consistency and down range punch required for clean kills in all situations. These flat shooting, wind defying bullets utilize ballistic designed boat tails and polymer tips to increase long-range efficiency and protect against tip damage in the magazine. Unique tapered jacket provides controlled expansion at all practical ranges and velocities.
Minimum Velocity: 1600 fps
Maximum Velocity: Unlimited

Sounds like sales hype to me when they say UNLIMITED.

Also notice that they say controlled expansion at all "PRACTICAL" ranges. If you hit a small varmint (Like a prairie dog) at 4000 ft/sec+ It will destroy it, but you cannot call that controlled If you do the same with a very fast bullet on game that offers some resistance the outcome will not be favorable to the game or the bullet.

Don,t believe everything you read on line. Ultra high velocity projectiles are designed to destroy what ever they hit. Reasonable wound channels are not part of there design when pushed past their Practical velocity.

Just saying

J E CUSTOM

Jon,
Just looked at Nosler's website again, the 6mm 80 gr ballistic tip varmint bullet is the only 80 gr 6mm bullet made by Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts