Reloading 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips

Kenster-Boy

I have been trying to work up a load with my 7mm rem mag. I want to stay with the 150 gr. ballistic tips but I can't seem to get them to shoot a good group. the powders that I have tried are IMR's 4350, 4831 and I was wondering what other type of powers or what else I should try. Any help would be much appreciated.

Note: my gun has a 9.5 twist and a 26 inch barrel

I have to agree with Reloader on that one. I feed my 7Mag 67gr RL22 and CCI BR2's with the Nosler 150gr Ballistic Tip. This combo has been the doom of many a whitetail in N.C.! Bullets are run out to .010" off rifling. Accuracy has been phenominal! Good luck. Johnny K.

Where can I find reloading information on the RL22. Is there a handbook or something out there to go by. I don't want to over carge my gun and wind up missing an arm or worse yet a head.

You might want to try Hogdon. Some load data here 7mm RM data Drop back a few grains on the slower burning 140gn loads and try those powders too.

Fergus

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Fergus Bailey ]

7mmag man,
for the most part I agree with tommy b and
others about RL22 but my 7mmRemMag wont shoot
it either no matter what load I have tried,
my sako seem's to like 65gr. of vvn560 with
150gr. B.T.'s

7 Mag, I Use 67.5gr of R-22 behind that 150gr Ballistic tip With a Rem. Mag primer Out of my 700 LSS. This load produces .3in 5 shot groups with only 2 holes in the paper at 100 yards.

My 7mm mag loves R-22 as do most 7mm and 300 mags. This R-22/B TIP combo is THE MOST ACCURATE load I ever used in my 7mm Mag. It is a shame the Ballistic doesent hold up to Magnum velocity within 100 yards. I had 2 problems with this bullet before so a retired it to a target load only. Good Luck.

PS: You might want to try the Accubound.

150gr bullet Min. Charge Max. Charge
Reloader 22 From: 60.0 grains to 68.5 grains

There is a lot of info out there for R-22 powder try Lyman 47th or 48th edition, Try Alliant's web site I'm sure they have some load data there you can print out.

[ 09-03-2004: Message edited by: Tommy B ]

Anyone compared the accuracy of the 140gn Nosler BT with the 150gn ?
I have a model 70 featherweight 7mm WSM that shoots 5 into about 1.2 inches at 100 yds with the 140gn . Not expecting miracles but wondered whether the 150gn is likely to be any better ?
Tried the 139gn Hornady SST with terrible results .

I know you shouldn't generalize BUT: I've noticed that large capacity cases SEEM to be more accurate with the heavvier bullets. Not always, but often. Your 7WSM might shoot better with 150-160gr bullets than it has been with the 140's.
My 7STW has shot some incredibly small groups with 150gr BT's and 160gr Accubonds. The twist in my 7STW is a bit slow, so 160gr is the longest/heaviest that I use in my rifle. A factory twist will shoot almost any weight; except for the heavy VLD bullets that are intended for fast twist barrels.

Give the "heavys" a try.

VH

[ 09-04-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Aussie,
I had to laugh when you said that the Hornady 139grSST shot terrible,try the Hornady 154grInterbond they shoot worse than any bullet I have EVER tested. I have been testing the 160gr Accubond lately and it shoot's very good with 7828

Brian--and I had to laugh when I saw you post that the 154 interbond shoots so badly. The good old 154 hornady interlock used to shoot so good in ANY 7 mag I tried. Isn't it wierd how "the new" doesn't always mirror "the old".

I haven't tried the Hornady IB's but I did give the 154gr SST's a try and they shot fairly well, mid .5's for 4-shot group. That was with 65gr of RL22 and the CCI BR2. That's the only load I tried and haven't been back to them yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.