Noobie scope questions

Al D

What a great site.
Lots and lots of info gleaned here. Thanks everyone.
I'm getting my first reasonabley long range rifle. Only own shotguns, .22's and handguns.
Hopefully I'm going to pick ut a Remmington 700, 30.06 today. Either Blue with scope for $500 or Stainless for $550.
I also looked at a Savage 110 for a little more $$, but figured the Remmington might be better all around (except for the awesome Savage Accu trigger.
I want a better scope so I can grow into 3-500yard shots. Maybe longer someday.
Is a 4x12 a good range? I'm planning to spend $3-500 for the scope.
I'm trying to get something that will work decent in low light.
What other considerations should I have?
Should I just go with whatever mounting the sop recommends, or should I ask for something special?
thanks in advance.
Al

Welcome to the site.

A great resource for your scope questions can be found under the FAQ's section of the forum. Also, it is good to read others' opinions on which cartridges they shoot and why.

Good luck, and have fun learning and shooting.

Russell

I'd start here with the V-plex scope for $259:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Hard to beat at twice the price.

And, given the option, the extra $50 for stainless is well worth it if you ask me. I find the barrels easier to clean and keep clean, and that's worth more than the "less rust" factor of stainless.

Good luck with your rifle!

A stainless Rem700 in 30-06 for $550 is a pretty good deal. Consider having some 'accurizing' work done. First, if the stock on the gun is factory, it's probably a cheap piece of plastic. You can pick up a laminate or synthetic stock inexpensively at BOYDS The World's Foremost Supplier of Hardwood Gunstocks. or http://www.boyds.com http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront . Then have a gunsmith do the 'accurizing.' Here's a great example

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

For optics in the <$500 range, consider Bushnell, Nikon or Super Sniper check out www.swfa.com . Personally, I prefer a bit more magnification than 14x on a longrange rig although it will get the job done.

I have a Vortex Viper on my 17 hmr , its a about 3-400 $ 6.5-20x , for the money the glass seems pretty good, and has solid turret feel,65 moa of elevation &windage, one of my other scopes is a Swaroski and that glass is very good to compare others too, it has a 30 mm tube and a lifetime unconditional warranty, Ive heard good things about the bushnell s too, also sightron but unsure of the price, spend as much on the glass as you can now, try to go stores and look through the different scopes outside and get an idea of the differences JMO Scott gun)

I also really like the Warne mounts and rings and the customer service is unmatched, I had a problem with one of my rings (most likely me) and they gave me a new rail and ring set up. very good products

I'd start here with the V-plex scope for $259:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Hard to beat at twice the price.

And, given the option, the extra $50 for stainless is well worth it if you ask me. I find the barrels easier to clean and keep clean, and that's worth more than the "less rust" factor of stainless.

Good luck with your rifle!

+1 for the money that you want to spend great scope for the $

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.