Scope questions

PrimeTime

I don't know about Weaver but Leupold makes a nice one piece base built specifically for long range shooting. I believe it's under $20. I have 3 of them and they work well.

In a few weeks, I will have a new one piece base/ring that I designed. Prototypes are being CNC machined now. It will have 30MOA built in and the rings are actually built in. The only moveable part is the ring caps.
By summer, I will have these for sale.

I am going to have the first few made in aluminum just to get everything right. The final product may be made of stainless, still not sure. Aluminum is nice because it is light and easy to machine. The stainless is a pain in the neck to work with but obviously would hold up better. That is something that will have to be worked out. Cost is another factor. I will keep the board updated on this project.

Longrangehunter--
Bruce Baer makes a two piece set that are marketed by LightforceUSA. They are 20 MOA Weaver style with two slots in each base and attach with Torx screws. They are about $62 from Brownells. They are built like a tank. Best deal out there for a precision machined set of tapered bases. Good Luck!.... CJ

Any recommendations for an economical quality 20MOA weaver base for a Rem700 LA?

Should I go with one or two piece bases or does it even matter?

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]

Chris, thanks for the tip. That does sound like a great deal. I was just about to order some stuff from Brownells anyway. I really don't want to spend $100+ for Badger Ordnance or Mark IV's.

I regularly use Warne Maxima detachables and Leupold MK4's and Badger Ordnance rings on Weaver bases - these all fit fine.

I measured some steel Weaver bases and they are 0.830" to 0.840" across the top. My Badger and Near Picatinny rail type bases are about 0.835". No sweat for fit.

Hi,
Another option is Graf and sons new Excel 1 piece bases made by ken farrell. They run about $40. They are CNC'd steel, and a weaver format. These are very tall and way more solid than the Lupys. The bottom is relieved so you have better access to the chamber.
The KENFARRELL.COM site can tell you what they fit, but, doesn't have pictures.
Did I mention that these are massive bases?

Good shooting.
C'ya, John.

Primetime,
the aluminum base my brother has on his Rem. 338/378 is getting beat to death. It's a wonder it still shoots great. It won't for long the way it's going. He's waiting on a one piece from Nightforce he said.

The setup your building sounds great, but I'd take the steel ones myself, no doubt.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.