NON Illuminated!

NYLES

How bout some suggestions in non illuminated scopes...
50mm

target knobs(must have)....I dont mind turning knobs ...where Ill be using this gun 99%.....plenty of time and ranges already known.

non range finding straight up...x-hairs

needs to be variable power

To go on 270AM

I know about a Ziess....

I use a 4-16x50 PMII S&B, it may be expensive but if its used often the price soon pales into insignificance. 0.1 mil adjustments means that I find the best way to use it is to range in meters and work all the maths in mils. It comes really easy once you ignore MOA.

Nyles

If you are going to hunt the same place over and over again and only every once in a while venture to a new place then you might consider some type of reticle that you can use as a holdover BDC and have knobs just for the extreme shots or for the trips to the Rockies. Depending on everything, either a Leupold Boone and Crocket reticle or some type of Mildot system will make things very fast and simple.

A 6.5-20X should be enough power for antelope sized animals out to very near 1500 yards.

BB,
Pretty much I will be hunting from shooting houses and a few good high spots on turn rows in bean fields. We have all the ranges to treelines, corners, and the like written under the windows of the shooting houses. Example in one I know the treeline to the left is 165 yds straight out in front its 180, Hachberry stump is 383 to the right, the treeline and point to the far right is 427.

Now if you sit on a turn row in a straight field deer could come out anywhere from a 100 yds to 960.

From the bench its 1250 yds to the treeline directly in front but angle a lil left or right 1800 easy.

95% of my shots easily covered with a 250 yd zero, but that aint the reason Kirby is building my RAY GUN. The RAY GUN is to make taking does WAY DOWN YONDER! a lil more fun and more challenging. Blasting does at 200 yds gets old quick! But must be done to enhance the buck doe ratio. Also gets a lil boring naming smaller bucks that dont make the 125 inch cut. This year we only took 3 bucks my broke antlered 10 pnt another 130 class 10 point and Katies first buck small 8 pnt and 18 does. The last day of the hunt we didnt hunt but put and friend and his son in a shooting house as we prepped a duck hole. That we could see we all saw 26 different deer to the left right and in fron of the house at the same time! They each got a doe! From where we were 860 yds.

I know I said non illuminated, but Im feeling what I need is that Nightforce R2....and set it up as TIM TX describe to me. BUy the time I get this RAY GUN set up and ready with a Nightforce close to if not over $4K. rests, bags, pads, dies, bullets, a trip to TX for some sausage and some 270AM experience...the gun isnt even built yet and its already priceless...I was thinking of maybe a cheaper scope BAD IDEA! I dont want to go through all that and sell myself short on the scope!

Nightforce 4x15x50 R2! I dont think Ill go wrong with it. Thanks guys for the input.

You can get a Nightforce that is not illuminated?? I was not aware of this at least not in the NXS line.

If you want non illuminated, the Leupold Mk4s are a good choice as well. I have several of them and use the reticles for ballistic hold over because the tracking is not quite there with the NF scopes for dial up. Plus its quicker to hold over in the field for big game hunting and plenty accurate for big game as well out to 1000 yards if you get the rifle and drop chart tweaked properly.

Kirby Allen(50)

HHmm Kirby throws a curve into the mix! Im gonna have to find a Nightforce and look through it to really make up my mind. The feeling I have for what your building me I dont want to cut it short ....however I cant spend twice the money on the scope....That rule of thumb is out the door!

I did put a Loupy on my 300 and honestly I feel my Nikons beat it out in low light. Thats made me a lil weary of the loupy's.

Ive trusted you so far so no reason not to now! but like I said NXS illuminated might not be so bad I can always turn it off! really need to peek through one.
Just dont wanna make the wrong scoping choice again.

$4,000.00 ??? You're getting off cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't look through a Nightforce if you don't plan on buying one. You'll like it for sure. Like you said, you can turn the illumination off anytime you want to. It's great under certain low light conditions. Also, if you really wanted to, Nightforce will remove the illumination part for you at any time. The illuminated reticle is illegal for big game hunting in some states.

Just don't spend $4,000.00 and then try to save $400.00 on a scope. Remember that is a scope that you will look through for every shot you fire through that gun, under all conditions, in all kinds of weather. Pay it up front once and you'll be a happy shooter for as long as you have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well Guess 4K will cover the gun, dies and scope! No no it wont either more like 5K with all the other gadgets. MAN! I did go in with both feet!

We can go much deeper if you want!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.