Illuminated vs non illuminated reticles

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
The illumination technology today is much better than the first time, 14 years ago, that I tried illumination and felt it did not aid me in my shooting.

What say you?

I have a Sightron SIII 3.5-10 LRIMOA that has illumination. Most of the time I never even think about turning it on, but when it starts to get dark or I'm shooting against a dark back drop the little illuminated .25 MOA dot in the middle is very helpful because the reticle is so thin that without illumination sometimes I can't see it.

Helpful when it is needed, but I have rarely needed it.
I guess if someone drags me out an hour before sunrise to shoot as early as optically possible at distance it would be real helpful:D

I guess if someone drags me out an hour before sunrise to shoot as early as optically possible at distance...

If I were you I would learn to stand up on your own two legs and just say "NO!" using your big boy voice. :rolleyes:

I have had an illuminated recticle on my 44 mag T/C Contender scope for 15 + years. Useful in marginal light hunting hogs and deer and as my eyes approach 60 years old. I use the minimum illumination required to make the cross hairs easy to see. Have been looking at scopes for a new rifle including some with illuminated recticles. It's a nice to have, not a deal breaker for me. Shooting at 25 to 200 yards with the pistol.

I recently returned from a Carolina razorback hunt. We started hunting just before dark and stayed on stand for as long as you had the patience. Other than the dim green LED lights which were mounted on the feeders, it was DARK. I eventually used my 1x4 Leupold illuminated scope to take a nice boar. Most of the other hunters complained that they couldn't even see their crosshairs in the nearly non-existent light.

I also like the illuminated reticle when hunting black bears under a dense canopy which seems to be the norm. A black reticle can easily be lost on the dark, dense fur of a black bear in marginal light.

The first illuminated scopes I had were Viper PST's before I got my NXS and ATACR. I primarily hunt coyotes from about 9:00 p.m. to as late as I can manage staying up and I couldn't get by without illumination on my coyote rifle. Though I don't use it as often on my LR bigger game rifle, I would have a hard time purchasing a scope that wasn't illuminated. When it's needed, it's REALLY needed. I'd hate to think of myself seeing the trophy of a lifetime and not being able to take a shot because I couldn't find my crosshairs on it. I've had missed opportunities before and I don't doubt they will haunt me for a lifetime:D.

The illumination technology today is much better than the first time, 14 years ago, that I tried illumination and felt it did not aid me in my shooting.

What say you?

If it's too dark to see the reticle superimposed on the the target, illuminating the reticle will only make the target more difficult to see. Realize that the resolution of the human eye is only about 1/10 as good when dark adapted as when using the color sensitive cones in the eye's fovea.
Three solutions are:
1. Use a spotlight to illuminate the target (where and when legal)
2. Use an image intensifier (where and when legal)
3. Don't hunt when there's not enough light for your naked eye color vision to be active. No non-electronic scope allows color vision in lower illumination.

Illuminated reticles seem like a good idea until you try to use them. I consider them useless.

If it's too dark to see the reticle superimposed on the the target, illuminating the reticle will only make the target more difficult to see. Realize that the resolution of the human eye is only about 1/10 as good when dark adapted as when using the color sensitive cones in the eye's fovea.
Three solutions are:
1. Use a spotlight to illuminate the target (where and when legal)
2. Use an image intensifier (where and when legal)
3. Don't hunt when there's not enough light for your naked eye color vision to be active. No non-electronic scope allows color vision in lower illumination.

Illuminated reticles seem like a good idea until you try to use them. I consider them useless.
The illumination in my Sightron actually helps quite a bit and does not distract from the target image. If the reticle were thicker it wouldn't need illumination but it helps a lot on shots against dark backgrounds or as light begins to fade. It is my only experience with a "nice" illuminated reticle so I don't know how it compares to everything else.

I'm in agreement with LouBoyd. I have 'em but they don't have batteries in them and then I have them without. Makes no difference to me.

I do use an illuminated railway sight in 50 foot match pistol competition but thats a different animal.

I don't use them enough to justify them. I've had 4-6 scopes with illumination, i'm not sure i've ever used it other than playing around. I think there are applications where they would be advantageous however, I rarely, if ever, find my self in those situations.

t

I don't want to miss ill. reticles! Since they are on the marked they make hunting i the dark a precise pleasure, even hunting in bright daylight has become easier due to them! Using highend scopes with fitting ill. reticles is just about progress. gun)

I have a couple 5-20 trijicons with the posts. During daylight hours, most of the time I turn the illumination off, as it doesn't have a an advantage how I use them. However, after sunset they really come in to play and have absolutely aided me many times and made life much easier not straining my eyes.

If I was just a big game hunter, I don't know that illumination would serve much purpose unless it's getting dark. In the canopy, as I think someone else has mentioned, especially in places like western Oregon and Washington, I imagine they'd be of great use. One time in western Washington, I was shocked at how much light some of that forest blocks and how dark it can get back in there. It was pretty cool, a very different environment.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.