No serial # on Rem 700???

tunacan

I just bought a Remington 700 LA ADL from a local classified ad section. I brought the gun home and took it out of the stock and noticed that there was no serial # on the action. The bolt has a number engraved in it.

The marking on the barrel are PJ. From what I have researched the gun was manufactured in 1972. I called the guy who I brought it from and he had no clue that the rifle did not have a serial # and he would refund my money.

What do I do? Is this illegal to own?

I need some advice.

Thanks in advance

Do a little research on the BATF site and see what they say. Or call and ask. They will give you the proper answer. Remington may have some information about it also.

Does the rifle look refinished or factory???

Thanks for everyones Pms and replys. You guys are a great resource. There are letters on the barrel and according to Remington the gun was made in 1962 or somewhere around there.

The gun is not in the best condition and looks to be the victim of rust because of the pitting that I am seeing. I believe that the gun has been refinish more than once.

I called the guy I bought it from and he is more than happy to purchase it back from me.

I guess I will have to do a little more research and make a decision. I don't want to have this bite me in the rear

I'm not sure, but wasn't it 1964 the year ser #'s were REQUIRED on firearms??? I know there's a lot of older guns out there that don't have them, and it's not a problem as long as you don't want to travel to Mexico or somewhere else for a hunt. A friend of mine couldn't take an old custom mauser of his to Mexico because there wasn't a ser# marking on it for the license to transport or something like that.

From what I have read it as the Gun Contral Act of 1968 that required serial #s to be put on guns.
Any gun before that does not require a serial number, however, if there was a serial # and it was altered you are in deep water.

Please correct me if I was wrong. What about distortion to serial numbers due to rust or corrosion?

I hope some more people chime in. I called Remington this morning and was on hold for 30 minutes before I hung up.

A LONG time ago, during my misspent youth, I had the PoPo "take" a 12 gauge J.T. Stevens shotgun from me "to check it out". The barrel was sawed down to 18 1/2 inches, and they wanted to make sure it was legal (I used to pack this shotgun during camping trips to lay waste to various forms of wildlife). The shotgun didn't have any serial numbers, which further irritated the PoPo. When I picked it up a the station, they belly ached about the lack of a serial number, but let me have it, since shotguns made a long time ago didn't have them.

We used to call that thing "The Mule", since it weighed about 4 lbs, and with the short barrel ...

As long as you haven't tried to alter or destroy any number, you should be fine. Check out this link Remington Society of America - questions/barrelcodes

I had Rem 722 (early version of a 700 SA) that didn't have a serial number on the receiver as we see on almost all 700s. Inside the receiver, on the left raceway cut, was the serial number. It was engraved there and same # was on the bolt.
Look in there for a serial number.

I just went through getting a serial number on a shotgun that was built before the 1968 Act. You only need it if some local law or border law requires it. It must be done by a person with an FFL 07 license.

The guy who did it for me talked to two agents for the ATF in person and made three phone calls. Of course he was talking to the HQ ATF here in Washington who only know how to pilot a desk. They finally sent a lawyer and an agent to see him and the shotgun. They made him call me and ask if the gun was stolen!!! What a pack of fools!!!! Of course I denied stealing it!!! I am not as stupid as they think.

It was the first gun I ever purchased and I raised the money through a 4H project of growing cotton when I was 10 years old. The gun cost me $66.99 from Sears plus shipping and the getting the serial number engraved cost me $69.00!!!!

I have an old Mossberg 144LS 22 Rimfire Target Rifle that i was working on and noticed it also had no Serial Number anywere and i purchased it used back in the 60's and looking through what paper work i had also no number went on rimfire central web sight and found out not many rifles of any make had serial numberas before 1964, mine was made in 1962.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.