Flat on bottom of Rem 700?

Mram10us

Has anyone ground a slight flat on the bottom of the Remington 700 action? I keep seeing certain people post that the action twists in the bedding, which I have not seen nor understand considering it is bedded with a recoil lug. It still got me thinking and wondering. Thanks

I've never seen or heard of anybody doing this cuz I think everybody's afraid of thinning the metal on the action and weakening it but I've thought a lot about what could be done to a 700 action to change the way it Interfaces with the stock. I had a thread started about actions with integral lugs wanting to see how others have done it, trying to think of any way to improve on the 700. Theres got to be something to make it better other than a complete redesign...

Rather than removing material to make the flat, maybe a flat with matching radius to mate with the bottom of the action between the recoil lug and action screw?? Devcon or a tack weld might do the trick. Wouldn't have to be much...

Well since some bench rest folks are gluing their actions in, I would think gluing an action extender to the bottom might accomplish something...never thought of that before this conversation, but a flat piece on bottom with a matching radius on top could incorporate a barrel lug of sorts, run the action screws through it, help make everything nice and rigid. Bed/glue the action to the extension and bed the extension to the stock....if I ever get my milling machine up and running I think I'm gonna have to give it a shot.

If the recoil lug is bedded correctly the action wont rotate. I also don't recommend grinding a flat surface on the bottom of "ANY" round action because the round shape is what makes them respond so well to bedding. (It acts like a V block but has a lot more surface area to hold the action consistently). Plus this extra surface strengthens and supports the action to prevent heavy barrels from distorting/flexing the action.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
If the recoil lug is bedded correctly the action wont rotate. I also don't recommend grinding a flat surface on the bottom of "ANY" round action because the round shape is what makes them respond so well to bedding. (It acts like a V block but has a lot more surface area to hold the action consistently). Plus this extra surface strengthens and supports the action to prevent heavy barrels from distorting/flexing the action.

J E CUSTOM
I couldn't imagine it rotating, but the member that posted the comment was very adamant about it happening. 300gr out of my edges never twisted one up for me, but I bed them like you. Grinding was a quick thought, but adding something seems more sensible....

Finally got around to doing a flat on a tikka project. Took a 5/8" end mill and took a .030" pass across the front action screw hole. Also, did one on the tc compass switch barrel project. I like that the actions sits flush against the pillars without needing much bedding. Accuracy is great with both. I'll post pics next time they are apart

Here is pics of my very old Kleinendorst alingment tool and rough draft of block to attach to bottom of Rem700 receiver. This block become would your massive recoil lug and give large flat foot print. Lots of 700's out there and be cool if this took them to next level!

Attachments

• 20200322_094013.jpg
    20200322_094013.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200322_095436.jpg
    20200322_095436.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200322_094002.jpg
    20200322_094002.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 192
Here is pics of my very old Kleinendorst alingment tool and rough draft of block to attach to bottom of Rem700 receiver. This block become would your massive recoil lug and give large flat foot print. Lots of 700's out there and be cool if this took them to next level!
Ohhhhh. That tool. Forgot it was called that. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.