NM Unit 57

Time Killer

Anybody hunt this area before. What was your success rate? And, mainly when is the best time of year to be in the woods??

I would ask the LO... I don't know if there any actual "woods" in that part of the state... I have hunted Antelope around there and it was pretty flat. I suspect you are going to be trying to get in front of them before they get on or into the Mesa... How much is asking for the tag? and what class bulls is he saying he has?

Lots of oak, pj and ponderosa on slopes of Johnson Mesa. Very close to vermejo and crazy French

oops sorry I was think it was on the south side of the hwy.. yes thre can be good bulls in there.. Are you on rifle or bow hunt? As a general rule the earlier the better for the rifle hunts..

It's a rifle hunt. I was invited by a buddy so I'm not sure about the cost, and the LO. He just said we could go anytime so I was trying to get an idea of the best month.

Time Killer,
I live about 8 miles away from the top of Johnson Mesa. Depending on the ranch you are on it can be all rolling grass land on top-- to oak brush, pine and ponderosa fingers dropping off. There is also some rimrock that can be pretty tall, once again depending where you are. There are also some tall moutains or peaks on top of the mesa. One called Towndrow peak to the west end and one called Red mountain toward the east. To the east it extends towards
an area called the crow foot where it drops off on the Folsom, NM side. I have hunted the area around Red mountain and the Crow foot. The area is not right next to Vermejo Park Ranch as I have also guided some hunts there. The Vermejo side which is on the west side of I25 starts just on the edge of Raton.
This unit is 55. The elk herd is much bigger in unit 55 of which Vermejo owns about 600,000 acres. Johnson mesa does have a healthy herd but does not consistently produce real big bulls. The biggest ranch on the Johnson Mesa side would be on its southern slope, it is the T-O Ranch. There are quite a few different land owners on top of the mesa it self. You can send me a PM if you would like more info, I may be able to help you out. Jamaro is right, rifle season starts October 1st and you can hunt for 5 consecutive days. Usually the earlier you hunt the better. However, there are areas on and around the mesa that hold a lot of wintering elk. With some luck you maybe on a place where the bulls like to spend the winter. If you are able to hunt country with draws, rimrock slopes or in general an area with sufficient cover I would be there to catch some rutting action on 10/01. Your friend and or the owner should be able to help with that info.

Discovered this thread doing a google search. I have a Cow tag waiting on me for this unit when I get home from deployment. Its ranch only. I got the tag from Brushy Canyon Ranch Raton outfitters. Looking forward to just getting to chase elk this year. Didn't think I was going to be able to hunt. What kinda weather can I expect up there in Early January?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.