NM Unit 34 ?

coonazz2

My 13yr old son drew a NM unit 34 youth elk tag. I have never hunted unit 34 and was wondering if anyone had any experience in that unit. I am in the process of ordering maps and gps software but so far its pretty overwhelming. Its tough to scout from over 1000 miles away. Not sure where to start or where to camp. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I to have a 12 year old daughter who has drawn the Unit 34 Youth Elk tag and I am looking for a place to start. I plan on going out around five days early to scout, being from TN this will be my only scouting trip. I have heard with the drought the last two years, that water sources are getting harder to find. Any help on a place to start looking or a place to camp would be very helpful.

I to have a 12 year old daughter who has drawn the Unit 34 Youth Elk tag and I am looking for a place to start. I plan on going out around five days early to scout, being from TN this will be my only scouting trip. I have heard with the drought the last two years, that water sources are getting harder to find. Any help on a place to start looking or a place to camp would be very helpful.

Thor, sent you a pm

Congratulations on your Youth Draws. Unit 34 is one of the most enjoyable Elk hunts I have ever been lucky enough to draw. Lots of elk and public land. PM me and I would be happy to help you out. P.S. You tube has some nice Video on this unit.

Hey guys...I got your phone numbers and will call you shortly. I live in alaska so I will play the time difference. Have a map of your unit close by and focus around Cloudcroft since that is close to the action. Unless you need special needs and are mostly self contained camping is every where on the national forest. I only wish I could draw this tag again. It is a fun hunt!! Moedogee

Check with the Forest Service on camping. I hear they are pretty strict down there about off road use and having to stay in designated campsites. Also be advised that is the area of the state where CWD (chronic wasting disease) was found so you might have to do mandatory testing. Check out NMDGF for online rules and regs from the G&F department. Click on the rules booklet and check out page 42 on deer and page 79 for elk. I don't think testing is mandatory anymore but I could be wrong and they give you an incentive to test. You could be coming back for an Oryx or elk hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.