NM Draw

New Mexico keeps 84% of the tags for residents.
That is true but before they do the 84% they take a lot of tags out of the pool to give to land owners and the land owners in turn sell the tags to hunters. A lot of people get upset about that because some of the tags that are given to land owners can be used to hunt the whole unit that the land owner is in and not just the private land that the owner has as property. This takes a lot of tags out of the pool that could go into the lottery system and raise the odds of drawing a tag. I'm kinda neutral about it so far.

New Mexico only gives non residents who don't apply with an outfitter 6% of the tags. 84% to residents and 10% to the outfitter welfare system.

Correct me if I am wrong but I saw a healthy amount of "resident" tags go to land owners/outfitters. Example for the unit I drew 2B was more than resident/nonres combined for that particular unit.

*Ignore this comment. I was way wrong. Wasn't reading the article correctly.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but I saw a healthy amount of "resident" tags go to land owners/outfitters. Example for the unit I drew 2B was more than resident/nonres combined for that particular unit.
The outfitters have the 10% of tags that are allotted to them but anyone can buy a landowner tag and then have the outfitter guide them.

Darn, I suppose with more new hunters (myself included), it is not making it any easier for anyone. Been struggling with that idea where I am both part of the 'problem' but affected by it all the same.
Talking with a NM Game & Fish Warden a few weeks ago, he said that there were over 60,000 more new licensed resident hunters this year than last year. That makes it tough for everyone.

Ed

This is my first year applying for NM. When/how is the notification?
Go on the NM Game & Fish website, log into your account and your draw results will be on the first page.
Selecting the E-Tag option when you put in for the draw will get you an email with your results the day before they are published.

Ed