Tag draw services

Gene Jr.

Is anyone using a tag application service? If so, what are your thoughts? Is it worth the premium when only trying to gain preference points?

I want to start out with a solid plan in place for myself and my son so one of us might draw a Desert or Bighorn tag while I'm still alive (I'm 34 now:rolleyes:). I have been on a Dall hunt and have contacts in Alaska so this isn't a desperate "I want to hunt sheep someday" sort of thing. I want to put something in place so we can enjoy one of the most coveted hunts in north america without plunking down the huge $ to purchase an auction tag.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Gene,

I think they are a great help in aiding you to draw one of these tags. As you know it is very expensive to apply for sheep tags. Most states require the money up front. Several of the services front the money and you keep a credit card on file if you draw one. It is the cheapest way to be in the drawing and get points in my opinion. I use Cabelas Tags, but there are many that offer similar benefits.

I have been using Larry Altimus for years, I think Cabelas probably copied his system.
He is easy to deal with and after many years of experience, extremely good at picking the right hunting areas accross most states. Saves a lot of time, keeps you from missing deadlines, ultimately gets you drawn. He will also guide if you need him.
Altimus Adventures
Larry Altimus
520 826 1032

emn83,

Agreed! That is why I will be using a service. For the next five years or so I do NOT want to draw a tag. I want to build points toward a sheep tag. If I drew a tag now... Well, I'd have to go. THAT would not be good for things at home!

emn83,

Agreed! That is why I will be using a service. For the next five years or so I do NOT want to draw a tag. I want to build points toward a sheep tag. If I drew a tag now... Well, I'd have to go. THAT would not be good for things at home!

LOL, you have exactly the plan I do.

My aims are right now limited to Elk...for some reason, getting a "trophy" elk has become a big deal to me. I might add another tag or 2, but my interests are fairly limited right now. after I'm settled more, and have a little more income, I'll be adding others to the list

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.