NM Draw

I went 10 yrs without drawing a rifle bull elk tag. Now I drew 3 yrs in a row, this year being the 3rd. 👍 Also drew deer. I love the random draw system. Everyone is on the same playing field every year

I surprised that NM doesn't keep 50% - 60% of the tags for state residents and the remainder for out of state hunters.
Google up, New Mexico Wildlife Federation. Learn the politics of NM wildlife management, and who benefits from the wildlife that belongs to the people of the state.

Google up, New Mexico Wildlife Federation. Learn the politics of NM wildlife management, and who benefits from the wildlife that belongs to the people of the state.
Yes, landowner tags sap a huge number of available tags for limited wildlife.

Aside from that, the State Game Commission serves at the pleasure of the Governor, meaning their present "Green Agenda" and it's "Progressive" Liberals run the Game Commission.
They do not view "consumptive" users such as hunters as valuable (except as a revenue source) and see predator management as evil.

There is a behind-the-scene movement to pass a law turning over wildlife management in this state to a "non-profit" entity. This would effectively eliminate any input we have as hunters, trappers, and anglers. There will be NO accountability to the public.

Ed

Be careful with the NM wildlife federation. They are as liberal as they come and not the sportsman's friends they portray. NM is 50% private land that holds feed, waters a lot of elk populations.

It is also in NM law that LO get elk permits. And all of those permits are available for any resident or non resident who is willing to pay for them. Seems pretty fair to me