NIKON BINOCULARS 16X50 ACTION EXTREME

lefty15

Can anyone tell me if these are good bino's, or are they not worth buying? I am on a limited budget, and I want to get the best bang for my buck.I would like the bino's to be really clear. My buddy has a pair of Pentax 8 x 42 and these are very clear to look thru,I was very impressed, but these are just a bit out of my price range. Or is there another brand that isn't to expensive that you would recommend?

The Nikon Action's are descent binos, however, I do not like the 16x50. First is they pretty much have to be mounted on a tripod to get a good stable view, and also light transmission will suffer greatly. The exit pupil of these binos is just a touch over 3mm. The Action's are descent binos, but if you go with them go with either the 10 or 12x. Just my .02 cents.

lefty,

aaahhh , uuuuummm, ( I'm running out of noises here! )

I have a pair of 10x22x 50 action extreme binoculars .
For the things that they can do I would not trade them for a pair of single power binocs .

I want some Leica's in the 10 to 15 power duovid class with a laser built in . I may be wanting that for a while .

Jim B.

I spent a bit of time using the 10x22x50 model this last week. The belong to a friend who was kind enough to let me use them. My first impression was pretty plesant glass seemed good and they were easy to use and adjust. However, after extended use, half hour to 45 min straight, I found they gave me a headache and caused a nausious feeling, I finally went back to my Zeiss 10x25 compacts. They say that is a sign of inferior glass. Now it's possible I didn't have them adjusted right or my slightly aging eyes need glasses, but I don't seem to have any problems with any of my other optics.

i have a pair i love them for the money i guide down here in texas they make it nice not to have to use a spotting scope all the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How is the clarity of the optics, and also with the 16 power, would you be able to use these as a hand held, or would I need tripod??

Winmagman,

Sorry that you get headaches using the Nikons . I admit that focus is critical but when you get it right it is " Right ".

I wear eyeglasses and I am no spring chicken myself ( 56 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ) I reckon the difference is that I do not get headaches , of any kind , at any time. Even when I was inclined to overindulge ( read : drink alcohol till I vomited massive streams ) I did not have a headache the next day .

The compacts you mention are good but even as superior glass they cannot give the light or resolution at the distances that the Nikons can.

I have tested this at 2 mile distances with Steiners fixed at 10 power and 50 mm and Swarovskis at 10 power at 50 mm and my little old Nikons at 20 power and 50 mm. I have nothing to gain by what I am about to say ..................

I could determine that the animals we were looking at were elk , not cows of the bovine sort and no one else could . At closer range ( one mile ) I could count points and the others could not .

What you must understand is that I am not sayng that the Nikons were superior to the other more costly binocs . Just saying that they were superior doing what I was doing.

I could crank up and down in the power range increasing my field of view to locate a specific animal or zoom close to judge his / her size and the others could not without using a spotting scope which brought on a new set of problems .

I tell you what , if some binoc mfg comes out with a high grade variable binoc in the 10 to 25 power x 56mm range they will rule the roost no matter the cost or weight . This is based on my own observation , others may and surely will have other ideas.

Jim B.

I tell you what , if some binoc mfg comes out with a high grade variable binoc in the 10 to 25 power x 56mm range they will rule the roost no matter the cost or weight . This is based on my own observation , others may and surely will have other ideas.Jim B.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are 100% right on that i would be first in line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While we are wishing , how about them having a laser rf as well .

Leica..... hello Leica? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wear eyeglasses and I am no spring chicken myself ( 56 ) I reckon the difference is that I do not get headaches , of any kind , at any time. Even when I was inclined to overindulge ( read : drink alcohol till I vomited massive streams ) I did not have a headache the next day

[/ QUOTE ]

jimm
Although I'm still on the short side of 56 you're a better man than me, 3 or 4 martinis or a few whiskeys on the rocks and I'm shot for half the next day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I do have to agree the Nikons were nice for locating something then cranking up the power to really get a good look. I can see where they could replace the need for a spotter. They just wouldn't be my first choice for looking thruogh all day, but thats ok I probably couldn't afford my first choice anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I tell you what , if some binoc mfg comes out with a high grade variable binoc in the 10 to 25 power x 56mm range they will rule the roost no matter the cost or weight . This is based on my own observation , others may and surely will have other ideas

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that I'd find a way to afford!!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.