Nikon Binoculars?

Propdoc03

I read the previous posts' and simply do not have the funds at this point to afford the Swaro's, Leica's etc. I would love to and do have good glass on my rifle but I am trying o gear up for this years hunt and my wallet is already thin.

So, for an upper low end pair I am looking at the Nikon's, Hopefully they will get me through this years hunt. Any thoughts on the pair listed below? Should I even be considering these?

Nikon 10x25 Realtree Outdoors Binocular

Nikon 8-24x25 Eagleview Zoom Binocular

10x25 Trailblazer ATB Binocular

Nikon 8x42 Trailblazer ATB Binocular

These will be used for both packing in and glassing the hills/canyons for black tail deer.I do have couple questions. Does the 25mm obj. work okay for glassing? Might the 8x42 be a better choice over the 10x25? I feel the bigger objective might work better but I am looking for something compact and light weight unless I will be giving much up over the larger objective?

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks pd

I really wish that someone would come up with an objective resolution test for binos & scopes like there are for camera lenses. I think a lot of people would be surprised with the results.

I like Nikon optics. Maybe I'm biased from my photography background, but I think they make very good binoculars (and lenses) for the price. If you go to a store, do a side by side comparison. Look into dark shadow areas. See which ones look clearest and reveal the most detail. I feel that some lower end Nikon binos compare favorably to the higher end lines.

This spring I lost a pair of expensive binos (Leupold) and replaced them with the new Nikon trailblazer's 8x42 for $135. I looked side by side with the pair I lost (and some other higher end models) and felt that the trailblazers where as sharp and brought out shadow detail just a little better as most of the one's I compared.

My original plan was to buy trailblazers now and upgrade later, but after using them for a while, I'm not so sure. They work well. I just went scouting with my cousin who was using Leica's and he would switch to mine whenever I was on the spotting scope.

The only thing I don't like about them is that there is no way to mount a tripod bracket unless you where to epoxy one on yourself. All the other lines of Nikon bino that I saw allow you to mount one with no modification.

XLNT, thanks pstimac. Have you had a chance to compare the 8x40 Trail Blazers with the 10x25's? I am already overweight pack wise but as I mentioned and like the sound of the 10x but if I am giving up too much then I will definitely go with the 8x40. I am going to have to catalog order as I do not have much of a selection locally.

pd

I agree with pstimac but I would try to squweeze into a little better pair of Nikons if you go that route. Like these

NIK7430

Description: MONARCH ATB 8X42 PHASE CTD BINO

Monarch ATB 8x42mm
Phase-correction coated prisms - Fully multicoated lenses - Waterproof & fogproof - Ultra-rugged, rubber-armored design is lightweight - Precision aligned optics - Extended eye relief - Central focus

Delivered price would be $259, and the quality is very fine for the cash.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.