nightforce vs vortex

Thanks Brewer, is that true for Leupold ?? They still advertise all-American made.

I believe Leupold advertises 'Designed, machined and assembled' in the USA which implies non-US made parts are used.
As a manufacturing guy myself, it is relatively common to see the supply chain consist of suppliers from all over the world going into products 'made' in the US.

z

hello everyone I'm looking into getting my new scope for my .300 win mag I'm throwing around the idea of the nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 or the vortex viper HS LR 6-24x50FFP any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Well Adam, did you make a decision? Inquiring minds have to know.

I believe Leupold advertises 'Designed, machined and assembled' in the USA which implies non-US made parts are used.
As a manufacturing guy myself, it is relatively common to see the supply chain consist of suppliers from all over the world going into products 'made' in the US.

Somewhere there is a law stipulating the percentage of a product that has to be mfg in America for the product to say "made in America". Nightforce doesnt meet that requirement on some of their products and thats why they say made in japan. Even though every scope is disassembled inspected and reassembled in America by Americans.

I think leupold meets the requirements on a larger percentage of their products and therefore its pretty common to see "made in america" on there optics. I also dont see ED glass being advertised on alot of leupold scopes so take that for what it's worth. Dont quote me on this, i need to look into it more.

Thanks Brewer, is that true for Leupold ?? They still advertise all-American made.

z

Thanks, I understand. Just disappointed. Guess I'm still living in the past. I like nightforce, just not sure I want to afford them. Votex seems a viable option.

Unapologetically AMERICAN gun)

ya, I just looked. looks like there is a manufacture in the US that produces glass. so I sit corrected.

ya, I just looked. looks like there is a manufacture in the US that produces glass. so I sit corrected.

Thanks!! appreciate the input. Nothing against NF or Votex, just like Leupold as I have several and want to stick with USA made if possible.

Yep, Leopold doesn't use American glass either. I sit corrected again. well, actually, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken!

There is american made glass, but all quality scopes are built using japanese or german glass. They are the two major makers of high quality ED glass

Yes, there are small batch glass manufacturers in the US. I think a lot of ithat glass goes into medical, space or military apps.
I didn't mention this before, but I used to work for Schott. Not in one of the glass factories, but I have spent time in one of Schotts glass plants. It Was a fascinating experience.

LOL!!! actually I did ,but not recently.lol! I bought a Weaver Classic extreme. I know it will give some of you guys headaches, but I couldn't beat the price. Figured I'd try it and if it didn't work for my 300wsm Id put it on my .223 since anything would be better than the tasco I have now. Actually, the weaver is not to bad. Tracks well, like the turrets. Glass leaves something to be desired. I wish I could afford Nighforce SHV.

I had been threatening to buy something other than German glass for some time. Well I took a chance and bought a Vortex VHS LR. It is easy to see the difference in glass between the Vortex and my Zeiss scopes. I wouldn't say the Vortex is poor but it doesn't have the clarity of the Zeiss scopes. At about 2/3's the cost of a comparable Zeiss with similar power and options I am willing to give this scope an honest try. Will let you know how things compare after I have it mounted and visit the range a couple of times.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.