Nightforce Question

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by tjbill, Jul 30, 2008.

1. tjbill

tjbill Well-Known Member

Good Morning...Great morning actually! My wonderful wife surprised me this morning with a new NXS 5.5-22X56 for my Sendero SFII in 300 Ultra. It came with a mildot reticle and I have read on here to go with the NPR1 or NPR2. Is it worth trading it or will the mildot do the trick? I plan on using the rifle for big game out to as far as I become capable. Thanks in advance for the input and have a great day.

2. Shawn Carlock

Shawn Carlock Sponsor

If it were me I would get the reticule changed to a NPR1 and be sure it has a zero stop. The MD will work and you can live without the zero stop but both sure make life easier.

3. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

TJBIL
    You DO NOT have to trade it, I believe NF will change the reticle for a reasonable price, probably much less the you would get ripped off by trying to "Trade".
    Give them a call and get a quote, and ask about the zero stops.
    Dave

4. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Can, and will they put a zero stop on a scope you already own??

5. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a Mill reticule IMHO as long as tthe turrets adjust in .1 Mill (1 Centimeter). Nighforce also offer Mill turrets I believe. Or you can change the reticule to a MOA reticule, life is simpler when the reticule and the turrets match

6. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Yup.......

7. MontanaRifleman

I prefer the NPR2, but that's just me. Nightforce will change out the reticle if you cant swap it out from your dealer. I do believe there is a fee plus shipping.

8. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I would swap for the npr1 if your dealer will do it. Costs 150 or so for Nightforce to swap them. I'm willing to bet your dealer will swap for you. Sounds like you'd better take care of that woman!

9. tjbill

tjbill Well-Known Member

Yes, they told her at the dealer they would swap for the 5.5-22X50 with the npr1 for no charge. Am I better off keeping the 56mm and just sending it in for a reticle swap and zero stops? Grit - yes she takes great care of me!

10. MontanaRifleman

I guess that depends on how much you want to spend. I believe the zero stop will cost about $200 or so, and when you add it all up with the shipping, you're probably looking at $400 plus. Shawn seems to put a high emphasis on a zero stop and he would probably have a good reason for it. I think if you work up more than one load for your rig it becomes a little less practicle.

I also prefer the 50mm to the 56mm objective just because it's a little more streamline on an already very large scope and my outfit is a carry rifle. The FOV is the same for both.

You've got one good gal there who would buy you a NF. You best keep her well stocked with flowers and dont be predictable. When she's happy, you're happy.