Nightforce or not

If it is to be a true big game rifle I would go with the 3-15 NF. For deer or even coyotes the 15 power will be more than enough for shooting out to 1k. If you are gonna shoot little varmints, pdogs and chucks, I would go with the 5-22 NF. The extra magnification will be helpful for those small suckers or if you really wanna show off and pop that pdog that is showing you only his head at 400yds!!! You will sacrifice some bottom end power on the scope but that is important only to personnal opinion.

You will never look back if you buy the NF. I have several in stock but there are a lot of other dealers out there so go where ever you want, you wont be dissapointed.

take it easy
steve

I have 4 loopies (two 4.5-14x50 and a pair of 3-9x50) and three NF - all with NP-R2 reticules, all with 56mm Bells. 3.5-15, 5.5-22 and 8-32

The 8-32 is a BR scope with 1/8 MOA turrets. It also has an finger adjustable Illuminated Reticule(The NF scopes need tools to change illumination level).

I'll have to disagree with the 50 to 56mm causing any problem. The Radius (which is all your scope mount is concerned with) is only 3mm more. But because of PI R^2, the light gathering grows as the square of the radius increase. The cost diff between the 50 and 56 is minimal.

jimm writes:
>> teensy bit thin for me for hunting early and late , illuminated reticle notwithstanding .

I couldn't disagree with that statement more, it must be a typo. (unless your Illumination level is adjusted too low). The NP-R2 reticle is too small for me EXCEPT at dawn/dusk with the IL lites up. The tiny NP-R2 reticle seems to be the perfect BR reticle and as useful for hunting as the french are when it comes time to chase the bad guys. I will say with a lot of practice you can get accustomed to the tiny NP-R2 reticle. I shoot with my Loopies too much and get spoiled by the fat reticle. The gossamer NP-R2 is far superior for paper tho.

With such a low opinion of NF, consider they're easy to unload with minimal depreciation.

I had a 717 yard kill last year at dusk with a heavy cloud cover. My Kirby/Lilja 300 RUM was wearing the 3.5-15x56. I don't think any of my Loopies would have been able to resolve the critter at the exceptionally low light level. During daylight hunting, I wish I had mounted my 5.5-22x56 for some the the 700 - 900 yard game I was watching.

Everyone seems to miss the biggest advantage of the NP-R2 - you get lines every 2 MOA so you only have to adjust elevation at most 1 MOA.

I don't think acquiring a NF is ever a mistake. About the only thing the 50 BMG community agrees on is that NF is the best 50 BMG scope. (5.5-22 #1 choice by a wide margin).

BigBore,

Sorry BigBore , I didn't explain why it is that way for me with fine crosshairs . Due to excessive floaters that gather at my point of focus early and late there is not sufficient light for me to see through the floaters When attempting to see fine crosshairs. In addition the lit reticles compound this problem , I see only the reticle then and not the target . That is why I said " for me " concerning the reticle thickness .

My apologies for leaving that out ,my typing skills are nonexistent so I tend to shorten when I shouldn't . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim B.

SHW

A few coincidences going on here, I am new to this forum and too am setting up a Sendero SFII, this time in Win Mag.

I also hafve fitted a NXS 5.5 -22 x 50 with the MLR reticle, by far the largest scope on any of my existing rifles.

I have Zeiss, Schmidt and Bender and Swarovski optics on a number of my rifles and they are all top drawer quality, no doubt about that.

I can say the optics on the Nightforce as far as I am able to discern are every bit as good and clear, the magnification for long range is terrific and build quality seems excellent also.

It may be subjective but IMO it is a truly excellent scope and one well suited to a .300 bore magnum rifle.

I narrowed choice to either the NPR-2 or MLR reticle and for better or worse opted for the MLR, but don't ask me why, just personal preference I guess.
I don't think you will be dissapointed

Nice post <font color="blue"> 600NITRO </font>

The MLR is becoming more popular. I stuck with the NP-R2 because I felt it was best to keep the same reticle my other two NF scopes had.

BTW, my 50 v. 56mm analysis (square of radius) may not reflect what you actually see (pun intended). I have a very hard time discerning any difference between the two sizes.

Jimm, no need to apologize. Now I understand. I guess we won't be sending you to IRAQ for nighttime long range sniper duty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Learch, what is the approx price difference?

I think everyone agrees NF is top notch.

Price difference between the 50 and 56mm is roughly 20-30 dollers.

I like to give myself the best chance for every shot so i like the added light gathering ability of the 56mm. But it does mount higher so you need to factor that in.

take it easy
steve

Does anyone have any eperience with Nightforce customer service? I would like to know how it compares to the Leupold service.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any eperience with Nightforce customer service? I would like to know how it compares to the Leupold service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I sent one in last year for repair and one in for a reticle change both were recieved and work completed in one day and shipped back with a one day turn around

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.