Nightforce or Leupold

Both are great scopes the leupold glass is better with my eyes I have had no tracking issues with the MK 5 I would suggest you look through both and decide reticle options may mean something to you also I dont think you can make a wrong decision here I am using the 3.6-18x44 and love it

You should look t the NX8 rather than the NXS. I used to have an NXS and recently picked up an NX8. I run ATACRs on my match guns. I think the NX8 is significantly better overall than the NXS, but not quite as good as the ATACR. The NX8 is also much smaller and lighter. The ATACR glass is significantly better than the NXS glass, and the NX8 glass is only a little behind the ATACR glass. I haven't tried the Mk 5 so I can't compare it to that.

In 15 plus years of setting up long range rifles, I have sent more nightforce scopes in for turret malfunctions than Leupold. Must be lucky due to the fact that I sell ten Leupolds to every one nightforce. In the past a lot of people were trying to get into long range with $4-$600 Leupolds, and they worked for a while. Then as cheap scopes do, they failed. You could never fairly compare a $600 Leupold to a $2000 nxs. The mark 5 is finally on the same tactical level with nightforce. It has nightforce quality turrets with Swarovski quality glass.

Both are excellent scopes ! Leupold comes with a no questions asked life time warranty
7CF58F23-1611-406C-8EAA-1E201FD410EB.png

Looking at getting ether a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 or a Leupold Mark 5hd 5-25x56 for hunting and long range shooting, wanted to see how the two perform in low light and hunting situations.
I sold all my Leupolds and will likely never buy another but I would go with the NX8 or a March Optics.

I sold all my Leupolds and will likely never buy another but I would go with the NX8 or a March Optics.

I am a fan of the March scopes, too. Currently I have 2 3-24x52 March scopes on my hunting rifles. However, after getting an NX8 4-32x50, I think it would be a close call between that and the March. The weight and size are very close, March is very slightly smaller and lighter. Both have great glass, although the NX8 falls short on the edges at higher resolutions. I like the turrets/parallax better on the NX8, and the NX8 is cheaper. I definitely like the NX8 better for competition, haven't had it long enough to say whether I would prefer it for hunting. In particular, I'm not sure about the lower magnification, I think the March reticle might be slightly better there.

Doesn't seem too apples to oranges to me. Similar weight. Similar power range. I have a NXS 5.5-22x56 and I love it. It's been on multiple rifles. Dialed out over 1400 yards regularly. It's taken a lot of abuse. With that being said I also have a 3-18x44 Mark 5HD and it's also one heck of a scope I just don't have as many hours behind it as my pair of NXS. I would say they are close enough that it doesn't matter between the two. If one is priced lower than the other I would go that direction and buy more components.
Remember. The scope is most likely more accurate than the shooter. At least in my experiencd

The mk5 is a good optic. Maybe the best Leupold has ever put out. The nxs is a old design that is good and works great but still has the draw backs of and old design. I'd go nx8 because I like those reticles better.

Seeing whatever you plan to shoot at is one thing...

Having a known repeatable dial out elevation and windage is another...

That being said, NF has a proven repeatable and accurate dial out track record...

YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.