Nightforce NXS series scope power and reticle choice

Regarding mirage, I've spent a fair amount of time studying turbulence induced blur in tactical day optics. For hunting, I look at it this way. Turbulence blur always gets worse as the aperture increases. If you can see the target in your larger spotting scope well enough to judge the game animal, then the turbulence blur will be less in the rifle scope. If the blur is too bad in the spotting scope to judge the animal, the rifle scope may give you a better view. Sometimes the blur is just too bad to see any detail, regardless of the optic.

The best approach is to avoid turbulence blur as much as possible. That means choosing a spot for classing that avoids long optical paths close to flat terrain. Raising the scope up even 12" higher will often noticeably reduce blur.

If you go with 8-32X, always use a sunshade. Otherwise glare will be a frequent problem.

Sp6x6 I would LOVE to try the beast, but my local dealer is going to be one of the first in the state to get any, they preordered like a hundred of them, but they said its gonna be a 3-6 month wait before they even get one :( and thanks for the info on mirage. I live in northwestern tn so everything here is flatter than Texas, at least where I hunt. It's just open flat farm fields. What would be some helpful advice to combat the constant mirage issue I deal with around here? Thanks again.

That's a tough situation. Glass from as high a position as possible, even if it means putting a chair the back of a pick up truck.

Turbulence always settles down just after sunrise and sunset. You have a 5 min window during which long range imagery is very clear. Plan your daily spotting schedule so that you don't miss those opportunities.

Finally I have a suggestion that I've used for long range cameras, but not visual optics like spotting scopes. It should work for them as well. Turbulence is much worse for short wavelengths (blue color) that for long wavelengths (red wavelengths).

A lot of the turbulence blur can be rejected by filtering out the blue part of the spectrum. Try wearing yellow shooting glasses while glassing. A yellow filter may not be the best choice because it also filters out green, and that reduces brightness.

A filter attached to the scope might work better. I would select an orange camera filter (transmits red and green) that is just large enough to fit flush against the spotting scope eyepiece. The spotting scope needs a long eye relief.

Animals tend to have gray or brown features. Gray is a mix of all colors and brown is gray with some extra red color. Filtering blue should not reduce the contrast of gray fur, and it should enhance the contrast of brown features.

I haven't tried this for hunting, but my experience says it should help.

Oops. I gave bad info above. Forget the part about the orange filter. Yellow is the best color to use. Yellow, not orange, is a mix of red and green. Try yellow shooting glasses when glassing. It should help reduce blur.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.