NIGHTFORCE EYE PIECE / POWER RING

Dennis_in_VA

I just got my new 5.5-22 X 50 NPR1 from Bailey (Thanks BJ). It is one Big Ol Awesome scope. The only thing that I noticed about the scope that I don't like is the fact that the eye piece rotates with the power ring. Is this normal? Therefore, when you flip up the Butler Creek, it rotates around when you dial up the power /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . How do you guys that have NIghtforce scopes deal with this?

Dennis,

This is exactly what I asked Nightforce after I purchased my first NXS 3 or 4 years ago. The fellow I spoke with at Nightforce stated that he had never thought about it and that he would relay it to the engineers (yah right). I do use the flip up covers and because of that, I don't adjust the power ring a whole bunch. My 5.5-22 is used for LR only and see no need in turning the power down, it stays on 22 wether at the bench or in the field. Like was previously stated the bikini covers are going to be your best bet if you plan on adjusting the power often.

Murf

Scopecoat makes oversized neoprene pull-overs that fit even if you have the extension on the front. Best protection for your scope I have found. I agree with the guys, you will probably not change the magnification much if at all for most of your shooting. I would forget about it and enjoy your wonderful scope - you got one of the nicest scopes out there.

By the way, I find that #18 Butler Creek flip-ups fit the eyepiece very nicely, some guys use #17's but I have not tried them. I just use the Butlers to keep my own greasy thumb-prints off the eyepiece.

You work along side BJ, sell scopes with him, but never get no credit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess thats what happens when your the only one who really works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Glad you like your scope. What i do for scope caps is to turn the scope up to max power and then put my butler creek cap on, since most all of my shots are at 22 power this puts my caps and ballistic info inside my cap at the correct postition. IF i remeber right when i turn the power down the cap is angled left

hope you like the new scope
steve

I think it's a significant fault with NF. Or atleast, it is in my view. The turrets aren't capped(as they should never be on a real scope), so why would they assume removable lens covers would be acceptable in the field? They aren't.

Whats needed is a flip-up cover which can itself can be turned to desired orientation regardless of the power ring position. Somebody offered them for awhile, I bought em, and they wouldn't fit any scope on Earth. So I live with the problem as described above(rarely changing power).

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a significant fault with NF. Or atleast, it is in my view. The turrets aren't capped(as they should never be on a real scope), so why would they assume removable lens covers would be acceptable in the field? They aren't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dirty, dinged, scratched and muddy turrets aren't going to f%^k up your sight picture.

i just pull mine off when i am going to shoot i have mine centered at low power with all of my ballistic info on it and if i need to go higher on power the cap fits loose enough that i just pull it off toss it on the ground and pick it up when i am done along with any empty cases there might be

[ QUOTE ]
The fellow I spoke with at Nightforce stated that he had never thought about it and that he would relay it to the engineers (yah right). Murf

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not sure, but the low power models APPEAR to be different - maybe they did listen.

Chris,

Maybe your right and the process is just a little slow changing all power models. My question to Nightforce was which scope covers do they as the manufacturer reccomend. I asked this question, because I ordered the flip up covers with my scope and noticed the problem right away. When they told me they reccomended the flip ups, I explained the situation I was having with the ocular housing rotating with the power ring. I really thought my particular scope was defective not owning one before.

Murf

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.