Nightforce Decisions

Jud96

I'm looking to upgrade to a Nightforce scope for my next build. I've never owned a NF and the highest level of scope I currently own is a Sightron SIII. This scope will be going on a custom 7mm Rem Mag, but will most likely go on other hunting rifle builds in the future. I want something I can use at close ranges hunting ~50 yards, and something I can bang steel and shoot out to ~1000 yards and everything in between. I want MOA and SFP. I want a NF because of their reputation and durability. I want to buy one and be done and stop my process of buying and trying a new scope every couple years. I also want something I don't have to question or worry about breaking or shifting zero when I'm counting on it.

I'm really liking the NXS 5.5-22x50, but I fear that 5.5x might be a little overkill for hunting in the woods. I've previously used several different scopes for hunting with their lowest power being 4x and haven't had a problem. I feel 1.5 more power won't be a deal breaker, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner. The 3.5-15x NXS is nice, but I feel 15x isn't quite enough magnification for target shooting and banging steel beyond 700-800 yards. I think it would probably be fine for big game, but I still feel a little handicapped with 15x being at the top end. The NXS attracts me because of its proven track record and it's in my price range.

The NX8 seems to be the obvious answer, but it's $300-400 more than the NXS, and I've heard some negatives about the eye box and mounting it. The NX8 2.5-20x sounds about perfect for me, but the short tube with a long action scares me. I don't want to compromise the positioning of the scope just to make it work but have an uncomfortable cheek weld and/or head position. The 4-32x sounds like the solution, but the cost of it is about the only thing holding me back, and the finicky eyebox issues I have read about. Also, 32x is way more than enough for anything I'll use this rifle for. My SIII is 8-32x, and it's on a dedicated target and Varmint rifle and I rarely have it above 24x. Sorry for the long winded post, I just want to be thorough with my wants and needs, and with the research I've done so far. Thanks!

I'm looking to upgrade to a Nightforce scope for my next build. I've never owned a NF and the highest level of scope I currently own is a Sightron SIII. This scope will be going on a custom 7mm Rem Mag, but will most likely go on other hunting rifle builds in the future. I want something I can use at close ranges hunting ~50 yards, and something I can bang steel and shoot out to ~1000 yards and everything in between. I want MOA and SFP.

I'm really liking the NXS 5.5-22x50, but I fear that 5.5x might be a little overkill for hunting in the woods. I've previously used several different scopes for hunting with their lowest power being 4x and haven't had a problem. I feel 1.5 more power won't be a deal breaker, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner. The 3.5-15x NXS is nice, but I feel 15x isn't quite enough magnification for target shooting and banging steel beyond 700-800 yards. I think it would probably be fine for big game, but I still feel a little handicapped with 15x being at the top end. The NXS attracts me because of its proven track record and it's in my price range.

The NX8 seems to be the obvious answer, but it's $300-400 more than the NXS, and I've heard some negatives about the eye box and mounting it. The NX8 2.5-20x sounds about perfect for me, but the short tube with a long action scares me. I don't want to compromise the positioning of the scope just to make it work but have an uncomfortable cheek weld and/or head position. The 4-32x sounds like the solution, but the cost of it is about the only thing holding me back, and the finicky eyebox issues I have read about. Also, 32x is way more than enough for anything I'll use this rifle for. My SIII is 8-32x, and it's on a dedicated target and Varmint rifle and I rarely have it above 24x. Sorry for the long winded post, I just want to be thorough with my wants and needs, and with the research I've done so far. Thanks!
My first nightforce was the NSX 5.5 x 22 x 56 I've shot out to 1250 and I've taken deer at 50 yards I think you'll be fine. But I would rather have the MOAR T reticle with the MOAR
image.jpg
image.jpg
reticle the heavier Crosshair covers the entire target at 1000.

Get the NXS 5.5-22 as we shoot that under 100 yds in the thick rain forests and thick kiawe trees even at 8x… I would be more concerned if your reticle choice as I've had issues at dusk with the moar-t and favor the moar reticle instead. Just a good all around scope with zero mounting issues, no eye box issues and a very good proven track record. Good luck!

Get the NXS 5.5-22 as we shoot that under 100 yds in the thick rain forests and thick kiawe trees even at 8x… I would be more concerned if your reticle choice as I've had issues at dusk with the moar-t and favor the moar reticle instead. Just a good all around scope with zero mounting issues, no eye box issues and a very good proven track record. Good luck!
With MOART reticle being thinner you could always use the illumination if you're having trouble seeing it. If it's too big and covers the entire target, you're kind of screwed.

With MOART reticle being thinner you could always use the illumination if you're having trouble seeing it. If it's too big and covers the entire target, you're kind of screwed.
I totally understand your point which is why I bought the moar-t but found out the hard way. Even while illuminated at dusk the red just reflects and covers the deer that we are trying to shoot at which is hard to see as is. But that's just my opinion, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Both extremes… under a 100 yds vs. at. 1000 yds. I took it as the OP was worried about shooting at close range. Two different scopes each excelling in different conditions.

I totally understand your point which is why I bought the moar-t but found out the hard way. Even while illuminated at dusk the red just reflects and covers the deer that we are trying to shoot at which is hard to see as is. But that's just my opinion, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Both extremes… under a 100 yds vs. at. 1000 yds. I took it as the OP was worried about shooting at close range. Two different scopes each excelling in different conditions.
Another twist to this conundrum would be second focal plane or first focal plane at least with first focal plane when you zoom in it will get bigger but yes, it is very thin in low magnification

Thanks guys! I just left a Sightron STAC FFP because of not being able to see my reticle on 4x with the illumination on max in the daylight. Obviously that scope is in a lower league than a NF, but I don't want to put myself right back into a predicament when hunting.

Thanks guys! I just left a Sightron STAC FFP because of not being able to see my reticle on 4x with the illumination on max in the daylight. Obviously that scope is in a lower league than a NF, but I don't want to put myself right back into a predicament when hunting.
MOAR

Nx8 2.5-20 is tough to beat. I use mostly ffp nx8 on my long range stuff. Recently picked up a 2.5-20 sfp in a deal. It's probably better for the woods I'll say. I'm accustomed to the ffp but I left my wife look through the sfp and she likes it better. She has to wear contacts though and I do not. You can't go wrong with either Nx8 or nsx. And Nx8 fits on la just fine even though I do run a full rail I always put the rings as far apart as I can