ring decisions

1doug

What size rings would i need for a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x 56 scope? I have a ken farrel base with out any moa and a 1.25 barrel on a remmy action.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

d-a

I have medium IOR rings on the WSM. There is a bit of clearence between the scope bell and the barrel but the low ones would put the bell on the barrel. Need actually something between low and medium height but it works for me.
Now get back to work fixin them planes!!!!!

I would call Marty Bordson at Badger Ordnance and he will tell you exactly what rings will fit that scope and barrel contour. He will also sell you the correct rings. There are other good sources but Marty is the man. If you spend that kind of money on a Nightforce you really should put it into the best mounting system - Marty's number is (816) 421-4956. He is a good guy, he puts up with me on a regular basis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I would also talk to him about a 65 in-pound torque wrench for properly tightening the side nuts on the Badgers and the stock bolts in your rifle - he sells a kit with both attachments. (Believe it or not I am not a Badger salesman...).

d-a,
I had medium Leupold MK4 rings on my farrel base mounted on my Mod 70 Stealth. With the Leupold 8.5-25x50 scope i am using i get about 3/8" clearance on the straight taper barrel. This combonation should work with your nightforce.

I have since swapped the scope onto a rifle with a low piccatinny warne tactical base but cant use these rings because the scope now fouls the barrel.
A new set of badgers in high configuration are on order. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

I seem to remember reading or talking to somewhere/someone the best setup is to use the highest base you can and shotest rings.
I am gonna say it could have been Norm Chandler who I talked to about this or it was in a Tactical Shooter issue way back when it was called that.
It could have been though in one of the many books I have regarding precision shooting but I distinctly remember the subject being talked about.
Either way it is sometimes hard to build for the perfect setup when the numerous rifle/scope setup comes into play that it could be an impossible task.
One advantage to higher rings is less mirage from barrel heat, the disadvantage is the cheek weld will be higher and less natural of a positition when sighting through the scope requireding a cheek pad of sorts.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.