scope decisions

pd721el

What should I do? I am putting together a new varmint rig it is a 28 " 6mmAI 1-8 to run 105's. I already have a Leupy vari x III 6.5-2050 duplex with a sunshade and stoney point knobs. I intent to shoot a bunch at 800 but will stretch that to 1000+ when the terrain allows. With a 20 MOA base will this be enough scope. The other scope I was looking at was the Bushnell 4200 elite 426245T 6-2450 tactical. whould this work if my leupy wont. Thanks for any advise.

Question #1

What velocity do you believe you will get with the 105's? With that information the drop at 1 K can be estimated and one will know how much adjustment you need in the scope.

Question #2

Is the Luepy a 1" tube or 30 mm? Either way you should be fine with a 20 MOA rail although it is possible to get into trouble with it and not be able to have enough adjustment for a 100 yard zero. You might wind up having to use a 300 yard zero to stay away from the bottom end of the adjustment if it is a 1 inch tube. Just depends on how flat your receiver is.

hey, i might be of some assistance, i have the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 you mentioned on a 20moa base on my Savage .243 win stock barrel. I can shoot 1k with the 105amax going 2700fps at the muzzle and still have about 15moa of adjustment left.... 1/4moa from the bottom of the elevation adjustment range i hit 1.5in high at 100y fine with me because i really am not wasting any elevation adjustment and the scope only has about 45 total. The rings i have are the burris xtreme tactical high rings, which work well very beefy. With a 6ai and 105's going at least 3k fps or something you should be able to get WAY out! I think the scope is fine, great for the money...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.