News Flash ... .... .. - Lightweight 416 Rigby kicks hard!!

How do you train the bear to shoot at you with it sir? Sounds like the perfect bear killer that way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave, You must be hunting for Brown Bear? If you do not like your 416 use a 375 H&H it has less recoil and it should get the job done.

dakor

I have a 375 H&H too but that 416 Rigby needs to spend some time afield. It's been in the safe for about a full year now and it's either "earn your keep or get out" at this point.

I'll be using it for black bear... won't they be surprised!!

My shoulder is still a little tender!!

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be using it for black bear... won't they be surprised!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I see you are not planning on getting a rug done? Well I guess you can gather up all those pieces and have a quilt made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I remember crouching down on my haunches to shoot at my chrono as I was working on a load. I pulled the trigger and fell over backwards, having been off balance. For the next shot I took things a little more seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember doing the same thing ONCE. Squated down with the 416 WBY and let a couple fly over the chrono, wasn't real bad if you were ready for it but, I remember I got a bit complacent and touched the trigger a bit too soon on the next one, being a bit off balance I was abruptly sent back on my kiester about 4 feet, rifle up in the air just barely in my fingertips. What a wake up!
I was suddenly aware of how much effort I must be putting into resisting the recoil (rearward launch!) of that beast every time I fired it.

Makes the 308 sure feel like a 22RF!

Dave, Welcome to the world of recoil. Kind of makes you sympathise those poor guys in Saeed's T-Rex videos dosn't it?
You probably already know this, but when shooting the boomers offhand, if you push FORWARD with your left hand on the forend it will reduce the felt recoil (and right shoulder pain), as you than take about 1/3 of the recoil with your left shoulder (it spreads the recoil across your entire upper torso). It sounds weird at first, but it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts