Bad news

Dosh

Just read on a financial page Gander Mountain filed for bankruptcy today. No word on the effect on stores or other functions of the company.

Hmm that's not good but can't say I'm surprised when the gun store that I have by me has no reload supplies and cabelas next store has every firearm at the same price.

I read somewhere the Bass pro and Cabelas merger might be falling thru...

That would be nice, with BassPro running Cabelas everything will possibly go south. My local BP has 1/4 the shooting and hunting inventory of the local Cabelas. If merger goes through, I'm guessing all the Sportsman's Warehouses here will get most of the shooting community business. Most shooters I know have only need one trip to BassPro.

The way all the big stores drive up the prices on everything I'm surprised they didn't get the message when sales started dropping off. But there you are penny wise and dollar stupid.

One of the Gander Mountain stores in Pittsburgh has closed. Field & Stream stores came in and likely stole most of the business--I know the F&S is much closer to me and the same high prices as Gander had.

-David

One of the Gander Mountain stores in Pittsburgh has closed. Field & Stream stores came in and likely stole most of the business--I know the F&S is much closer to me and the same high prices as Gander had.

-David

Yea, they put that new Gander Mountain in on 22 by Spitzer Toyota. It looks bigger than most Ganders.

-David

We're getting a new F&S store built here in the same mall area as Gander Mnt.. If their prices are high I probably won't be giving them much business either. I can get all my reloading supplies from a couple of local gun shops and most of the time they have everything I need anyway and at a better price.

I am not surprised, the customer service is horrendous (at least it is in the 7 stores I have within 50 miles of me). The stores here have a "take a number" to be helped, which...fine, when it's busy. But when it's 10:30am on a Tuesday and I'm the only person there...what a joke.

I hate seeing any company go bankrupt..especially a Minnesota based one, but you could see this one coming a mile away.

Update, read today Gander Mtn closing 32 stores.
Ala. 4
Ga. 3
Ill. 3
In. 2
Min. 3
NY. 1
NC. 2
Tn. 1
Tx. 10
WV. 1
Wis. 2
Location of individual stores listed online. Source USA Today.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.