Newbie scope question

heiner39

I want to start by saying I love this site. I'm new here and to rifle shooting in general. I took my first whitetail last fall with my 30-06 Savage.

I have a question about scopes. I have read good things about the Bushnell 4200 series and Nikon Monarch series. Being that they seem to be in the same general price range, what do you guys think would make the most reliable scope? I'm looking primarily for hunting purposes but love the long range stuff too!

I prefer the Nikon because the glass is a little better IMO - slightly better light gathering for early and late shots.

I don't like the BDC reticle, the circles just seem big and distracting to me. I would probably get MilDot if available and Nikoplex if not.

I have never used the BDC. I've looked through them. If I were going to get a Prostaff, I'd look at the BDC because I wouldn't trust the tracking to constantly adjust the scope for elevation. If you were looking at the Buckmaster or monarch or better, I'd agree that the nikoplex or the mill dot would be better (definatly the mildot if it is offered because it would give you multiple points of aim once you learn the distance between the dots at various power levels. One thing to note is that the buckmaster has a thicker reticle than the monarch and the monarch has a thinner reticle than the bushnell 4200 (at least it seemed like it to me), but the Leupald vxIII does have a slightly thinner reticle than the Monarch...

+1 on what Scott has said about the 4200 durability. Also in dealing with both CS departments, you will find that the Bushnell CS is much easier to deal with. Many have had horror stories with Nikon. On another note, in speaking with Nikon, they know and vow to improve there CS department. I know they have a new stateside CS manager for Sport Optics and he seems to be doing well. Only time will tell.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.